gagaplex

BioShock and BioShock 2 are not detected; possibly Bink?

Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:53 am

Hello!

As it says in the title; I'm trying to record BioShock 1 and/or 2, but neither are detected. I've tried various tricks like switching to a "screen selection" and then back to "Direct X/Open GL", restarting Bandicam after the game already loaded, changing resolution within the game to get Bandicam to recognize the change or something, but nothing happens.

Just before I recorded Super Meat Boy, so I know the detection works in principle. I've also successfully used it to detect and record titles such as FEAR and Torchlight 2, but nothing seems to happen here.

Now, I noticed that the game starts up with Bink videos and, funnily enough, I've had trouble with Bink before with the rather ancient game Silver (has some ingame cutscenes in Bink). But why the game wouldn't be recognized after the Bink intro videos are done is a mystery to me.

Is there a way to force detection/reset detection I didn't try? Or anything else that might help?

Any ideas?
Thanks!

Update: I just tried to record the freeware game The Suffering, but it, too, isn't detected. It also starts up with short intro videos, which may or may not be Bink. Are there, like, Bink-specific codecs I need or something? Is there a problem with recording game-embedded videos in general? What should I try?

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Re: BioShock and BioShock 2 are not detected; possibly Bink?

Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:40 pm

Hi gagaplex,

Bandicam can record BioShock.
why the game wouldn't be recognized after the Bink intro videos are done is a mystery to me.
After the Bink intro videos, a game refreshes the directx (Some games doesn't refresh the directx).
Bandicam 1.8.3 had a bug when the game screen changed (Resizing, Alt+Tabbing, or loading a screen/intro videos).

Please try the latest version of Bandicam (1.8.4) from http://www.bandicam.com/downloads/

If you still have the problem, reinstall your graphic card driver.

gagaplex

Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:34 am

Please try the latest version of Bandicam (1.8.4) from http://www.bandicam.com/downloads/

If you still have the problem, reinstall your graphic card driver.
Did both, no change. Is there any way to diagnose the issue? Or somehow force Bandicam to focus on a window?

Update: I tested it again: Torchlight 2 is still being detected just fine. Skyrim works, too. But neither BioShock 1 nor 2 get detected. What else (besides the above I already did) can I do?

gagaplex

Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:49 pm

Perhaps this is of importance: Whenn ALT-TABbing out of Bioshock (1 or 2) to, for example, restart Bandicam, the game is not properly minimized as is usually the case with most games but turns into windowed mode. When I then click on the window again, the game is not recognized by Bandicam. That wouldn't be a problem if the game WERE recognized the moment it starts up, but that doesn't happen either.

I have tested a number of other games (including the enormously performance-hungry Cryostasis) and, honestly, they (almost) always work. And when they don't, then restarting Bandicam and reentering the game fixes it. I think there must be something specific about Bioshock's engine (and since 1 and 2 appear to largely share the same engine, part 2 has the same recording issue) that's causing this.

You said that Bandicam can record Bioshock. Are you sure the newer versions still can? Maybe it's a problem that only came about in a newer version and wasn't recognized since the earlier versions recorded it just fine and there was little reason to test it again?

Please let me know what else to do to fix it on my end or how to help you figure this out.

gagaplex

Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:41 pm

Well? Any ideas? Anything I can do to help you figure this out? Are you currently testing and I should wait more? Some sort of response would be helpful. :)

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:59 pm

Sorry for the late reply!

We've tried BioShock and BioShock 2 several times, but we could record it without any problems.
Bandicam can detect BioShock and BioShock 2 when entering ALT+TAB or ALT+ENTER

1. Please check our FAQ below
http://www.bandicam.com/faqs/no_fps_fra ... nd_number/

2. If Bandicam still can't detect the game, play the game in Windowed mode and use 'Rectangle on a screen' mode of Bandicam.

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:55 pm

We've tried The Suffering.
Bandicam can detect the game without any problems.

gagaplex

Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:53 am

Thanks for testing. The issue persists for me. I can record BioShock in windowed mode via the box, though, yes. That does work. :)
Still, it's strange. As I said, graphics driver and Bandicam are up-to-date. Maybe I need new video codecs or something? I'll try that next.

gagaplex

Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:12 am

Nope, the codecs didn't change anything, either.
It's odd that I notice this problem with more and more of my games. I don't know whether something on my end changed or on the side of Bandicam, but it's frustrating, especially with games that don't allow for windowed mode.
Out of curiosity, will there be an update that allows us to manually force Bandicam to respond to a particular window/process even if it's not detected as such automatically? I can't help but feel that the automatic detection is the issue here, especially since it appears to work with some games but not others.
For instance, the same issue I described above happens with the oldie Diablo 1, but with the oldie Sacrifice there are no problems detecting the game.

Freienstein

Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:56 pm

Are the Bioshocks DirectX 10? Can you record other DirectX 10 games? if not, we both have the same issue.

Return to “Bandicam - General Discussion”