martino89

What are some tips to use with Bandicam?

Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:57 pm

What are some tips to use with Bandicam?

rubyeye

Re: What are some tips to use with Bandicam?

Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:13 am

So far I can recommend a couple of things.

1) Change your in-game resolution to 1920x1080 (if you want to capture HD), instead of resizing in post or using Bandicam's built in resizing function. Anything you can capture immediately at the resolution you want will save you a step in post-processing and retain better quality.

2) Use a lossless codec for capture (such as Lagarith or UT Video), if your computer can handle it. I have yet to test it myself but on other projects I've done, a lossless codec will give you much higher quality than a lossy one, such as MJPEG. Of course the file sizes will be huge so you will have to recompress to .mp4 before you can distribute them. Nothing wrong with using MJPEG - it looks great. But for a video editor, like myself, I'd always recommend getting the best your system can handle.

Skite

Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:15 pm

Play in the resolution you want, but decide if you want to record on 720p or 1080p.
Make sure, like rubyeye said, to run a resolution that is equal or greater than the resolution you are recording at. IMHO, for doing gameplay footage, Let's Plays and such, 720p is fine. There's still plenty of folk who completely ignore 1080p due to long loading times, having low bandwidth available or just not feeling it is cost-effective. (You know, the amount of time it has to load before you see the footage vs. the increase in perceived quality between 720p and 1080p.)

Use x264 and set it to quantizer based. 21-25q is your golden ticket for 'good enough' quality and efficient filesize.
I'd love to use two-pass, which is by far the best option when trans-/encoding with x264, but for whatever reason I can't get it to work. That's another story, though!

If you want to record a game or software that doesn't want to be hooked, have it up fullscreen (or windowed, doesn't matter) and use 'record rectangle on screen'. You can set it up to your desktop resolution, effectively making 1080p footage if you're playing a game fullscreen at 1920 × 1080, but it doesn't get hooked by Bandicam.
If you're playing a very old game, you might want to set Bandicam to record at a certain resolution as well, so that it 'enlarges' the footage without making much of a mess. (I hope, I haven't tried this myself. But I imagine this method works better than upscaling it with video editing software.)

That's all I can think of right now, my mind is going all fuzzy! :P

GameTipsAndMore Blog

Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:38 pm

Here are a bunch more tips:

Here is our article summarizing tips on game recording in general:
http://gametipsandmore.blogspot.ca/2012 ... -text.html

Here is our article comparing Bandicam to some other game recording programs (some tips inside):
http://gametipsandmore.blogspot.ca/2012 ... xtory.html

Here are Bandicam's Official Tips on recording with Bandicam if you are experiencing lag/slowdown:
http://www.bandicam.com/faqs/how_to_red ... recording/

Have fun!

Return to “Bandicam - General Discussion”