rubyeye

No 64-bit External Codec Support?

Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:04 pm

I'm just curious to know if Bandicam offers support for using 64-bit codecs. I have a couple of them installed but Bandicam does not show them as a selection, so I'm not sure if it's something that's limited in the "Unregistered" version or does Bandicam simply not support 64-bit codecs?

If that is the case, then why not?

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Re: No 64-bit External Codec Support?

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:03 pm

Hi,

Bandicam doesn't support 64-bit External Codec.

To support 64-bit External Codec, we have to change many things.
So, we may not support it in the future.

Thank you for suggesting.

Skite

Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:58 am

Hey,

Not to be rude or anything, but it might be worthwhile looking into 64-bit codecs.
These allow for more system resources to be used more efficiently and will give Bandicam more power whilst recording. ;)
I know it basically means creating an entire new program from scratch to support 64 bits codecs, but with other software and the codecs themselves slowly switching over to 64bits, it is an option you might want to consider looking in to for the future.
I'm not sure if the new h265 HEVC codec has a fully fledged 64bit counterpart to it's original, but it has been released and it will become the mainstream video codec soon enough.
Like with h264, I'm pretty sure there will be an x265 free version.
That codec needs much less bandwidth with comparable quality, compared to h264, but 'requires more computational power'. It's not mentioned very clear, but I figure that means it will demand more system resources than h264. If it is 64bits, it can use a lot more of your system to keep it smooth and stable than with 32bits.

Just my two cents. :D

rubyeye

Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:40 am

Thanks for the clarity. That's too bad Bandicam doesn't support 64-bit codecs but understandable since 64-bit systems are not as widely used by many people. It would be nice to see one for those of us to take advantage of, but I still appreciate the work you guys do on this program. Besides ... it works. There's room for improvement, but it works and that's what counts.

Skite

Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:29 am

...but understandable since 64-bit systems are not as widely used by many people.
What?! :D 64 bit systems have been standard for years now. From hardware to software.
Motherboards, processors, graphics cards, UEFI, OSes (Windows since XP!).
The only stuff 'lagging behind' are some applications. ;)
This is because, as mentioned before, to fully optimize for 64 bit, a program needs to be completely rewritten. This is labour and cost expensive, so companies have to make a calculation on when to do this.

My previous post was aimed at Bandisoft.
I really think you guys should definitely work on squeezing the most out of Bandicam!

Return to “Bandicam - General Discussion”