sheppo

Memory leak + Non standard audio streams

Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:53 am

Hi,

so, i picked up bandicam last week.. and i have to say.. i'm loving it! It fixed, for me, so many problems i was having with a competitor's product beginning with F it was worth struggling with the two issues i'm going to mention below... But the product would be even better if they were fixed

1) Memory Leak - This only occurs when using mjpeg footage in an editing application to edit the footage and re-encode it. I've seen this issue in virtual dub, and sony vegas. Both the x86 and x64 variants. As you're aware bandicam comes with it's own mjpeg dll to deal with decoding mjpeg streams. However, when encoding a 20minute 1920x1080x30fps stream i will see the host process memory size balloon out of control. Normally it will be sitting at over 8gb in size. Attempts to do this in a 32bit application will see it crap out half way through, crashing the application when it reaches the 3.4gb max 32bit application memory size.

2) non-standard storage of audio streams - the 2x audio streams feature is immense. i love it! However, sony vegas doesn't like the audio streams correctly... it sees them both as beeing only a second or two in length. Virtualdub sees both streams correctly, but throws an error up when opening bandicam footage.
"AVI: Stream 1(audio) has a non-zero start position of 800 samples (+40 ms). VirtualDub does not currently support a non-zero start time and the stream will be interpreted as starting from zero"
I suspect re-aligning the audio stream start points will make the resulting avi file more compatible when trying to load bandicam footage in to video editing software.

hopefully you'll get chance to look in to these issues. Still, a great product if not. :-)

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Re: Memory leak + Non standard audio streams

Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:13 pm

Hello sheppo,

1)
We have found a bug in mpjeg vfw (video for windows) codec.
And it will be fixed at the next version update.

2)
When you use Sony Vegas, please change the Bandicam sound codec from "MPEG-1" to "PCM"

Thank you for sending the excellent bug report.

Best Regards,
Bandisoft

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:29 pm

Hello,

We have fixed the mpjeg vfw (video for windows) codec problem.
Please download and install the below codec.
http://www.bandicam.com/codec/

This codec will be added in the next Bandicam update. :D

sheppo

Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:14 pm

thanks for the update, i'll give it a go tonight hopefully and see how it gets on.

as for the audio streams.. I had tried capturing to PCM audio before writing this post, but forgot to report yet another bug.

- PCM audio capture does not work with world of warcraft (wow.exe).. it simply crashes the game, every time. If there's any more information i can provide to help resolution on this please let me know. e.g. hardware, or software environment, etc.

I'll try again with the latest version just to confirm that this is still an issue also.

thanks,

sheppo

Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:19 pm

I thought i'd follow this one up, since i've had chance to do some more testing with both the points raised. I've updated the codec pack. a couple of things to note on the memory leak front
- using a 32bit video editor resolved this problem. I no longer get memory leaks in Sony Vegas 10 x86.
- Neither Sony Vegas x64, or virtual dub can load the video component of a captured file - this may be because i've not restarted windows (I'll report back when i've had chance to reboot). x64 is preferable for me, since editing and compressing for youtube is notably quicker under x64 apps.

on the audio capture front
- I'm able to capture PCM sound in WoW.exe okay now. not sure why it wasn't working before.
- sadly, building peak files for 2 CD quality PCM audio tracks on a full mjpeg quality 1920x1200x30 video stream in sony vegas takes far too long.. but it is at least working now. :-)

thanks for the help in resolving my issues.. :-)

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:52 am

You professional report was really helpful.

We really appreciate your feedback! :D

Best Regards,
Bandicam developer

Return to “Bandicam - General Discussion”