Prospero

General feedback and video quality question

Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:31 am

Hello all,

I purchased Bandicam quite recently for both capturing screenshots and making video clips for YouTube. It's a great program and definitely a worthy rival to Fraps.

I particularly like how you can easily select a watermark of your own to use - not something I've used yet, but might do in the future.

One question I have, though: It seems that none of the video format options I choose allow for completely lossless video capture, and indeed apart from filesize, all the formats appear to give identical results. If I can explain better, take this screenshot:
forgetmenot1.png
Plain screenshot
forgetmenot1.png (4.28 KiB) Viewed 7040 times
Now if I try and capture a video of a similar screen, I get an output of this:
forgetmenot2.png
Screenshot taken during video playback (note compression)
forgetmenot2.png (73.32 KiB) Viewed 7040 times
Look at the red text in the upper right corner. The video screenshot seems to suffer from lossy compression. No matter what format I choose - even RGB24 - I can't seem to get a lossless video output. By contrast, Fraps doesn't seem to have this problem on default settings.

This isn't a huge problem and I will continue to use Bandicam regardless, but this behaviour just seems slightly strange...

I even risked installing Bandicam on my laptop just to see if it did the same thing, and sure enough, it did. Stupidly, I registered it with the same license without thinking... I hope you can overlook this mistake... sorry about that!

EDIT: One other suggestion I wanted to make was for the option of having screenshots saved to a separate folder. It could be a nice addition for organising captures.

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Re: General feedback and video quality question

Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:23 pm

Hello Prospero,

We apologize for the late reply, and appreciate your screenshots.
Look at the red text in the upper right corner. The video screenshot seems to suffer from lossy compression. No matter what format I choose - even RGB24 - I can't seem to get a lossless video output. By contrast, Fraps doesn't seem to have this problem on default settings.
=> Bandicam's internal architecture is different from Fraps, there are some difficulties to solve the problem right now. We know this matter and someday we will fix this problem.
One other suggestion I wanted to make was for the option of having screenshots saved to a separate folder. It could be a nice addition for organising captures.
=> I'll see. We will separate the video and image folder in 1~2 months.

Thank you for suggesting

Best Regards,
Bandicam

Sar

Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:20 am

Any updates on this red text artifacts issue?

GameTipsAndMore Blog

Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:10 pm

If I may help out with some ideas..

Since you are using YV12/RGB colorspace for recording, how are you extracting/saving the video frame as a screenshot? PNG is also a lossy (but can be lossless) codec. Perhaps try BMP or something lossless to see if it helps? I notice that if I choose PNG or High Quality JPG, they are both better than 'regular' JPG but BMP is the closest to the original, of course.

Are you opening the video in something like Virtualdub or Avidemux or Vegas and extracting a copy of the video frame that way? Try BMP and a different program (each uses their own set of codecs somewhat, but mostly whatever is installed on your computer) to see if it helps.

If the video is RGB and looks fine, the saved image should too... hmmm

Return to “Bandicam - General Discussion”