Keekz

Video is dark?

Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:42 pm

Hello! So I've recently started using bandicam for my lets plays on youtube but in certain games the video looks quite dark. Especially in the Sims 3.. I don't know whats wrong.. Its not a black screen but it is a few shades darker than what it looks like when i play the game. Does anyone have any ideas what would be causing this?

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Re: Video is dark?

Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:25 pm

Hello!

1. It might be a problem with the codec or your media player.
Try VLC media player.

2. Click the Settings button under the Video tab of Bandicam, and try different codecs such as H.264, Motion JPEG, Mpeg-1, XVID, etc.

GameTipsAndMore Blog

Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:45 pm

If I may pop in, I've been looking into this crazy problem off and on - it seems to be an ongoing thing with The Sims 3...

In 2011, I saw threads of people saying it would only record a Black/Blank Screen. Then, people were able to record but since 2013 some were getting 'darker than it looked while playing and recording' output. It wasn't just Bandicam, it was happening with Dxtory, Xsplit's Gamecaster, Fraps and then NVIDIA's Shadowplay - all gave 'slightly darker' recordings, for many people. So odd.

I myself am getting slightly-dark video recordings from Sims3, but I wasn't too concerned about it, as it wasn't any recordings I was sharing and I wasn't really recording it much - but I still glanced at the problem once in a while on the net and kept track if anyone had any 'real' fix for it - which noone seems to have for those having the problem... all the threads talking about it just trailed off and noone came back on forums at NVIDIA, YahooAnswers, etc.

[I just tried recording it again with Bandicam and MSI's Afterburner and yep, the problem is still there.]

What an odd issue and I'm sorry that you are running into it now... I shall try to work on it a bit, changing settings and system configurations, to see if I can figure anything out - it would be great to find out what's wrong and I would share it here. It seems though, that either you are getting this issue or you aren't, and if you are, there's no real 'fix' for it [that I have come across so far]... crazy

GameTipsAndMore Blog

Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:13 am

Hey all,

I just wanted to come back and say that I played with it a while and found a fix [more of a workaround really] that you can do to at least record in proper colours for now (until it is fixed properly in an update by NVIDIA/AMD or EA/Maxis), and that is: run the game in Windowed Mode.

I made a quick little post at my blog about it, but here is the evidence that it works - a comparison of stills from two videos recorded in the two different display modes for the game (fullscreen and windowed):
GTAMblog - The Sims 3, Darker Recording Problem - Example comparing darker colours of recording display modes.jpg
Comparison between the display modes and the colours when recording (Darker vs. 'Normal') for the recording issue with The Sims 3, showing that the workaround works [at least for now]. In the right half, the camera has been 'zoomed in'
GTAMblog - The Sims 3, Darker Recording Problem - Example comparing darker colours of recording display modes.jpg (171.66 KiB) Viewed 14272 times
If you want to read the post I made about it at my blog, you can do it here, but the tip and the still comparison picture used are all right here.

Try it out - I hope it works for you too!

okayna2

Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:58 pm

hello i have 100% solution for your problem mate because i have that problem before. but i already fixed, try to change codec. for example your default codec is H264 (CPU) try to change each codec. then start recording if not work in H264 (CPU) try other Codec, mine was fixed by codec RGB24. i recorded in 10 sec. and i play them each. if you find a better or brighter record take that as your codec. :D wish this would help you all.

Return to “Bandicam - General Discussion”