MrT

MPEG1

Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:45 am

Hello.

Guys, I understand MPEG-1 is freakingly old, but it gives quite nice quality, I don't see any noticeable differences, the filesize is very nice - about 1Gb per 3-4 minutes, and it don't use much CPU time. So, why shouldn't I use it? Maybe there are some crucial drawbacks comparing H.264 or MJPEG compression?

Thank you.

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Re: MPEG1

Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:25 am

We think the only drawback is a compatibility issue.

GameTipsAndMore Blog

Re: MPEG1

Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:23 am

I loved using MPEG-1 when it was the Default Codec, back when I first purchased Bandicam - and I continue to record with it on many games. The only drawback I have found is that some games become laggy/choppy when recording with MPEG-1 at high resolutions - but if this doesn't happen to you and your game that you are recording, then have fun with it :D

I like the film-like quality that it gives the video, with the little-bit of slightly-unique compression artifacting that the other codecs don't have (despite most of them being MPEG-based). MPEG-1 is still popular in Asia and still works well today. Although I am moving more and more over to CyberLink's PowerDirector for editing videos, I also like how MPEG-1 can be imported into Sony's Vegas video editor without any "trails" or corruption problems.

Keep using it, if it works for you! :)

Return to “Bandicam - General Discussion”