FoxTwo

Frame skipping in older Unreal Engine games

Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:09 pm

Hi,

This is just preliminary observation, but it appears somehow Bandicam is causing frameskips and stutter on older Unreal Engine games, such as Unreal 2, Advent Rising etc.

The moment I start recording, the game starts to jitter. Even inside the game your controls are skipping beats. When you playback the video capture, the video may even contain bigger portions of frames skipped than when you were playing. FPS counter display still shows high framerates - anywhere from 60fps to 120fps. Limiting FPS during recording (to 30fps for example) does nothing to alleviate this issue.

Choice of codec had no impact on the skipping, from lossless (Lagarith, UTVideo) to H264 (x264vfw), every codec causes a skip. The only difference is that codecs that compresses more, skips more in the recorded video. The in-game experience is all the same - some skipping, some jumping... you either oversteer/understeer or you aim too much to the left or right.

Curiously, a competing video capture software, MSI Afterburner, exhibits the same behaviour as well, but FRAPS does not.

However, on modern Unreal engine games, Bandicam does not cause this behaviour. FPS may drop a little but the recording is smooth enough and the gaming experience is normal.

Question is - has anyone have a workaround for older Unreal Engine games? Or do I really have to fall back to using FRAPS? I really don't like FRAPS much eversince discovering Bandicam :(

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Re: Frame skipping in older Unreal Engine games

Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:05 pm

Hi FoxTwo,

We've tried Unreal 2 demo, but we couldn't recreate the frame skipping / stuttering problem.
Could you please send a short video clip to bandicam@bandisoft.com?

FoxTwo

Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:38 pm

Hi Bandicam devs,

Please view an example at http://youtu.be/W42APcRtrFw

First capture is FRAPS - it's done to illustrate that there are no issues with capturing with FRAPS as well as establishing that my PC can definitely play these older games without issues.

At 00:28, that is when Bandicam capture started (I combined the 2 clips). For this capture I used Lagarith codec as an example. As mentioned in previous post, does not matter which codec I select in Bandicam, internal or external, all codecs cause the same kind of stuttering from Bandicam.

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:37 pm

Thank you very much for your video.

What is your CPU and graphics card?
Fraps doesn't compress the video while recording, so it can have less lag than Bandicam.

Go to Video Options of Unreal2, and reduce the game resolution to 1280 x 720, and try it again.

FoxTwo

Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:33 pm

Thank you very much for your video.

What is your CPU and graphics card?
AMD 1055T x6
ATI HD 6950

Fraps doesn't compress the video while recording, so it can have less lag than Bandicam.

Go to Video Options of Unreal2, and reduce the game resolution to 1280 x 720, and try it again.
Ok thanks.

Return to “Bandicam - General Discussion”