Athlas

Procedure to get the most of your recordings in edition time

Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:15 am

Hi All
Hi Athlas,
Thank you for the information. I would like to hear more.
Any way, for what you say, you are editing your videos, and I suppose after that you render them and upload them to some place like Youtube.

People tends to get confused about a couple things. If you edit and render your video, Bandicam has nothing to do with the final quality, other than to produce a first original as better as you can with it.

If you dont edit your video, so you upload what you get from your recordings, then you have to set up Bandicam to produce a video according to the needs of the place where you are going to upload it.

I will base my initial explanation in the first scenario: Video recorded with Bandicam -> edited with Premiere -> uploaded to Youtube.

In this scenario to get the maximum quality you have to setup Bandicam with Motion JPEG codec, 60 fps (if your game is a high motion one) or 30 fps (if is a medium/low motion). I will come back on this later.

Audio have to be recorded as PCM for compatibility purposes. Some versions of Adobe Premier can take the MPEG-1, or Elements, but some not. So better to have one codec that is widely accepted.

Getting back again to the video codec and fps. Games and recording can be two of the most expensive tasks, in resources terms, for a computer.

If you are editing your recordings (Premiere, VSDC, Lightworks, etc...) then it makes not sense to use any encoding during the recording time. With this you get 2 goals. Less use of resources of your machine and crispy quality in your recordings.

Motion JPEG is ideal for this. What it does is just like if you press the Print Screen key as many times per second as your planned fps. It does just that, saves JPEG images, not loosing time to encode them. If you play the video, after recorded, in any player, you will see that it is exactly what you had in your screen whilst playing, crispy quality, sharpness, just the same you had.
Obviously the file size will be huge, well... in my case, recording high motion games, 1920x1080, it takes about 5Gb per 10 minutes clip.

Even if your computer doesnt meet the requirements, in a given moment, with very high motion, thousands or millions of objects in your screen, etc... the games fps can drop, lets say you were playing at 80 pfs and suddenly in that scene it drops to 25 fps... dont worry. The recorder will carry on recording at 60fps (you can check it with an analysis program like GSpot). It just will duplicate the last frame it got until a new is produced in you GPU. Because it doesnt records your screen, but the GPU itself. So your final video will be still as smooth as when you played the game.

Now that you have you clip recorded it's time for edition. So I use Premiere for it and you too. Fine. Premiere will be more than happy, as again, there is not codec involved, just JPEG, so quality for preview will be magnificent. Now make sure your project meets original fps, or that is already set up as 60 fps (if that was your choice when recording it).

Do whatever you have to do with your video, and then if you plan to upload it to Youtube, you must accomplish with that service requirements.

You can see them here: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

There are a few factors that you cannot setup in H264 in Premiere, like B consecutive frames, and there is nothing you can do, so will focus on those we can and will affect the final quality.

As a side note you have to know that Youtube will decode/encode always your video, so as closer you are to their encoder as less modifications will be on the final quality.

First thing you have to do is to select the same fps as your video, in this case I supposed you wanted a 60 fps video.
Then select High profile, if not already selected, then select a level of 4.2, that will be enough. You can do a higher level, but it wont be of any significance for uploading to Youtube and the final quality you will get in that service.

Make sure the other fields are as requested by Youtube specs, square pixel, progressive and VBR.

Now you can choose between 1 or 2 pass. I hope you know what is VBR and how it works and influence the final quality, so I will skip that explanation, but ask me if you want to know more about it.

Now you have two values to setup, max speed and destiny speed (hope that is the translation, as mine is not in English). Really it means Bitrate, max and destiny. So you can see what are the requested bitrates for different resolutions in the Youtube link I posted above, but... it is rubbish...

If you are recording a chess or simms game, then will be ok. But other than that those bitrates are far too low to get a good quality.

Here you have a sample, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfG86gXxVVI my first video with full resolution and with all settings as per Youtube specs, as I was using another edition/renderer that could manage all the factors for H264.

Video was done in 30fps, so it wasnt smooth, but not only that, as much action as less definition... so what's happening if I did what I was told to do?

Well the answer is easy... Youtube is making money with our videos, so they want us to have a happy experience, and they know mostly of them are watched in phones and tablets, so resolution or bitrate is not a so big problem in those small screens. So they dont tell us that if our video is going to be seen in a normal screen, in full resolution 1920 x 1080 it will be crappy, stuttering, jerky and lacking definition all the way.

Solution comes if you read the specs for "High quality uploads for creators with enterprise quality internet connections"

And we are fool if we think that with the former settings we can get a minimal quality. As I said, all depends on what kind of recordings you are doing. You can be fine with minimal settings for nearly static videos. Here is another sample of that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwo_uPwza2A

As you can see with the same settings we can get very different results depending on the action of our video.

So as we need better settings for high action movies, we have to pay the bill for it, if we are ready to do it. And the only way is to increase the bitrate.

Youtube has not any limit for bitrate, even when they suggest a bitrate of 50000 kbts (50Mhz) for a hight quality x1080 video, it can be more. But I dont think it will be necessary.

So.. it was rubbish... Now back to our settings in premiere... get the destiny numbers to 30 and maximum to 50.

Now you can see the estimated size of your file has increased... sorry, that's the bill you have to pay, so as it is larger, your uploading times will be longer too.

It is up to you, to find a set up that accomplish with your goals about quality and uploading time, and it is up to you which one is your priority.

But if you want to see what happens when you go the extra mile then have a look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im4HXRK-U24

it has some problems of synchrony, due to the problem we are facing lately on Bandicam, but fast moving scenes have nearly all the smoothness as the original and definition of objects is very good in those parts too.

It could be still better, much more better, but I cannot afford to pay the bill for it. To get that quality I needed a file of 3.56 Gb, which took to upload with my connection between 7 to 8 hours.

Hope this will give you a vision of the big picture and will help you to get what you want.

Lemonater47

Re: Procedure to get the most of your recordings in edition

Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:40 am

By edition I assume you mean editing lol. Edition and editing are two completely different words that mean completely different things. English makes no sense but that's how it is.

But yeah great thread. Bandicam since 5 days ago also allows you to know record MP4 with AAC audio which is great if you just want to upload from bandicam to YouTube. Also its a faster import into video editing program's (at least it is for magix and Sony Vegas).

Athlas

Re: Procedure to get the most of your recordings in edition

Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:23 am

By edition I assume you mean editing lol. Edition and editing are two completely different words that mean completely different things. English makes no sense but that's how it is.

But yeah great thread. Bandicam since 5 days ago also allows you to know record MP4 with AAC audio which is great if you just want to upload from bandicam to YouTube. Also its a faster import into video editing program's (at least it is for magix and Sony Vegas).
Hi Lemonater47,

Sorry for my broken English. But I am always confident that clever English speakers will understand my poor translation. And if they dont, I dont worry, cause they wont understand about h264, MPEG, etc... either, lol.

Yes, I know about that great tool that we have now. But in my case only of use if uploading directly. Otherwise, for video editing (note how I learn from good teachers) nothing like not having encoded GOP's and just like RAW material. Even when would be faster, quality is a MUST for me.

As a side note I will say I tested it, not getting too worried by results as like I said before I wont use very often. But in those tests I did I found some discrepancies between what I did setup as target fps in bandicam and what the analysis program (GSpot) tells me I got. Like setting up 60 fps and then getting 30 fps... It was still imported by editing software... but it switches my alarms on.

Return to “Bandicam - General Discussion”