GameTipsAndMore Blog

Tested Importing MP4 Container (2.1) Into Nine Video Editors

Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:02 am

Just wanted to share the results of a few tests I did with Bandicam version 2.1.0.708 (10/21/2014) which added the MP4 Container option with the AAC audio codec, letting others know what worked and what I found didn't :geek:

I recorded some clips in Bandicam's MP4 format/container and imported the recordings into:

- Adobe Premiere Pro 6 (Trial)
- Avid Media Composer 8.1 (Trial)
- Sony's Vegas Movie Studio HD 11 Platinum Edition
- CyberLink's PowerDirector 12 (**See Below)
- Lightworks 12
- Nero Video 11

and some free video editing applications

ALL of them were able to import the raw Bandicam MP4 recordings without problem (IMPORT=GOOD),
**except for CyberLink's PowerDirector12.
As I am not a programmer, I am not 100% sure why - especially since PowerDirector will import any other 'regular' AVI container recording that Bandicam produces [where I found that most of those other programs do not like the AVI recordings Bandicam creates, unless the Keyframe Interval (GOP) is set to "1" - but PowerDirector always imported them fine].

Other programs tested were AviDemux, XMedia Recode and Windows Movie Maker - and they all imported Bandicam's MP4 format/container option without problems.

Update 1:
After some superficial analysis, the MP4 container option in Bandicam appears to use H.263/ASP (similar to XviD/DivX) with VFR (Variable Frame Rate) possible [using it as it requires or can], as one sample [for instance] was set at 120fps and recorded at 33-120fps (VFR).
Since videos recorded with the MP4 container option in Bandicam could not initially be imported into CyberLink's PowerDirector video editing application, I tried transcoding the videos produced - essentially 'repackaging' them into CFR (Constant Frame Rate) MP4 containers. These files were then able to be imported into PowerDirector without problem.
I will communicate this to CyberLink as well as leave this here for others.

Update 2:
Tested with another application

- Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD 13 Platinum Edition

and it works great! It also does not require setting the Keyframe Interval to "1" anymore, with the new MP4 wrapper/container. Way to go, Bandicam! 8-)
Last edited by GameTipsAndMore Blog on Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Re: Tested Importing MP4 Container (2.1) Into Nine Video Edi

Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:19 pm

Hi GameTipsAndMore,

We've tried PowerDirector 13 and could reproduce the problem with "MPEG-4 and AAC" codec.
(However, we didn't have any problem with "H.264 and AAC" codec.)

We may consider the CFR (Constant Frame Rate) option in the future.

Thank you for your informative post.

GameTipsAndMore Blog

Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:30 pm

Hi GameTipsAndMore,

We've tried PowerDirector 13 and could reproduce the problem with "MPEG-4 and AAC" codec.
(However, we didn't have any problem with "H.264 and AAC" codec.)

We may consider the CFR (Constant Frame Rate) option in the future.

Thank you for your informative post.
You are most welcome!
I was just trying to let others know too, that your new MP4 container works very well.

PowerDirector works fine with the AVI container from Bandicam - I find I was using it more than Vegas to edit for a short while, as it does not require changing the Keyframe Interval/GOP to "1" - but then, the new MP4 wrapper in Bandicam 2.1 does not require that anymore in Vegas anyway 8-)

Keep up the great work with Bandicam
Last edited by GameTipsAndMore Blog on Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lemonater47

Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:07 pm

Also works with magix movie edit pro, iMovie and final cut express. Magix is a Pretty damn good video editor. Not that different to program's like Vegas premiere and it imports things 10x faster.

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:34 pm

Hello!

Please try Bandicam 2.2.3 which has been released today.
- Download: http://www.bandicam.com/downloads/

This new version supports the CFR (Constant Frame Rate) option.

For more information, visit http://www.bandicam.com/support/tips/vfr-cfr/

Return to “Bandicam - General Discussion”