Posidyn

Failed to initialize codec. - Matrox MPEG-2 I-frame

Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:37 am

Hello Everyone.
I am getting a "Failed to initialize codec." error when trying to record with the external codec Matrox MPEG-2 I-frame. The XViD external codec works fine. I am getting the error trying to record Zombie Shooter in DirectX mode and the desktop in window capture mode.

Please help.

- Windows Version: Windows 7 64bit
- Graphic card model: nVIDIA GT 525m
- Bandicam version: 2.1.0.708
- Bandicam mode: 'DirectX/OpenGL window' AND 'rectangle on a screen'
- Recording Target: Zombie Shooter and desktop.

Thank you.

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Re: Failed to initialize codec. - Matrox MPEG-2 I-frame

Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:50 am

Hello!

It seems that Bandicam doesn't support the Matrox MPEG-2 I-frame codec.

Posidyn

Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:32 pm

What do you mean by
"It seems that Bandicam doesn't support the Matrox MPEG-2 I-frame codec.
This is an external codec. On the page http://www.bandicam.com/faqs/vfw-x264-x ... 264-codec/
it says
Bandicam 1.8.2 or a higher version supports the third party VFW (Video for Windows) codec - External codec.
Is there a list of external codecs that Bandicam only works with?

Dfactor

Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:41 pm

This is an external codec. On the page http://www.bandicam.com/faqs/vfw-x264-x ... 264-codec/
it says
Bandicam 1.8.2 or a higher version supports the third party VFW (Video for Windows) codec - External codec.
And then shows a list of 4 supported codecs.

Posidyn

Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:41 am

And then shows a list of 4 supported codecs.
Are these listed codecs the only external codecs that can be used with Bandicam?

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:20 pm

Other codecs may work with Bandicam.
However, we're not sure which codecs will work with Bandicam.

We're sorry that we couldn't give you a good answer.

Posidyn

Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:42 pm

OK. Thank you for the reply.

GameTipsAndMore Blog

Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:29 pm

This is interesting... may I ask why you were trying to use the Matrox MPEG-2 codec?
I used to have a Matrox videocard, and I think that codec is designed for Playback/decoding - as opposed to Recording/encoding - but I could be wrong, of course

May I suggest, if you want to use an External MPEG codec, to use MPEG-4 (x264/h.264/AVC) and then set it for I-frame only (keyframe only) by configuring a Keyframe Interval of "1" ? You could also use MJPEG, which is all I-frames when it creates the file, and is very compatible with many video editing programs.

Posidyn

Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:10 pm

I was trying to get Bandicam to record into a format that is recommended for Lightworks Free.

I did find your article about using H.264 for Vegas/Premiere/Lightworks. I am using this now since I cannot get Bandicam to record to MPEG-2 I-frame.

Strangely enough, Lightworks Free does not read MJPEG properly. Or at least I could not get it to work.

GameTipsAndMore Blog

Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:38 am

I was trying to get Bandicam to record into a format that is recommended for Lightworks Free.

I did find your article about using H.264 for Vegas/Premiere/Lightworks. I am using this now since I cannot get Bandicam to record to MPEG-2 I-frame.

Strangely enough, Lightworks Free does not read MJPEG properly. Or at least I could not get it to work.
I'm glad you got 'something' working at least :) That is odd that MJPEG did not seem to work, I was just testing it with Lightworks 12... Hmmm

Looking around in my own system, I haven't installed any Codec Packs or anything since I reinstalled Windows (I sometimes use a codec pack for testing). I do see an MJPEG decoding codec installed, but that looks like Bandicam's MJPEG Decoder that must get installed with Bandicam (it's called "Bandi MJPEG Video Decoder") - odd that Lightworks didn't just invoke that - I suppose I could suggest to try uninstall Bandicam and then reinstall it, that might re-initialize the codec (you could also try restarting to reload everything, but these days "you shouldn't have to restart"). I'm a very novice user with Lightworks specifically, so I'm sorry I don't have many other ideas at the moment for why it may not be working with MJPEG... I'll tinker with it a bit and see what I can find in any hidden Options, Libraries, etc.; but MJPEG really should work with it. Interesting little things going on!

I hope that you can at least edit with H.264 I-frames for now, P

Return to “Bandicam - General Discussion”