SystemError514

Recording on an external hdd?

Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:28 am

Hello all. I don't know if this has been asked before but I can't seem to find an answer on Google. I have heard that while recording I should save the video on an external hdd instead of my internal for better performance, is this true? Thanks

Zuzu_Typ

Re: Recording on an external hdd?

Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:37 pm

Hello SystemError514,

generally internal HDDs are much faster than external, because the way, data has to travel along is much longer for external HDDs, also the data volume is different,
so I guess recording on an internal HDD is faster, at least a bit.

hope, I was able to help you.
--Zuzu_Typ--

Dfactor

Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:06 pm

^Completely false. An external drive will have the same performance as an internal one unless you're bottlenecking it on purpose. An external connected through USB3 can easily reach 120MBps read/write.

And to answer OP's question. You don't necessarily need a second or external hard drive unless the game loads up a lot of content during the time you play. Even if it does I don't see how that's a problem either. I doubt that you're recording with incredibly high bitrate and even if you are using high bitrates (like 80Mbps - that's still only 10MBps, 1/12th of the hard drive's capacity) it shouldn't affect your framerate. It makes sense if you're using second hard rive when you're capturing nearly uncompressed footage.

Zuzu_Typ

Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:17 am

Oh, of course, you are right, at least if you connect it via USB3.0, e-Sata or Thunderbird.

Return to “Bandicam - General Discussion”