SuperGod

Re: Recorded Video is too dark

Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:53 pm

For the same reason I requested this: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3434
Bandisoft: IMHO this should have a higher priority on yours to do list.

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:16 pm

Hi everybody,

We're checking the gamma issue now.

Thank you for your suggestions.

PXAbstraction

Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:11 am

Did the investigation into this yield anything? I've recorded several things using Bandicam lately that are darker games and the footage output is really dark, to the point I have to boost it in my editing suite.

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:41 pm

Unfortunately, we couldn't find a good solution for the game issue.

We will re-consider it in the future.

PXAbstraction

Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:42 pm

Seriously? You couldn't find a good solution for footage being unacceptably dark so you're just leaving it on the back burner? Wow yeah, I may have to find another recording product then.

GameTipsAndMore Blog

Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:50 am

If I may pop in, I find this issue interesting, as I actually have the opposite problem, but only with MJPEG (sorry to name a competitor, but MSI Afterburner seems to have darker/truer colours when using MJPEG, whereas Bandicam's MJPEG seems to be a bit 'washed out'). I quickly made an example comparison a while back:
(Lower MJPEG Quality and compressed JPEG to help fit Size Constraints of posting, which 'dulled' the effect somewhat, but it can still be seen, especially in the trees along the bottom and on the right side)
MJPEG Brightness - Bandicam and MSI Afterburner, Comparison (Unigine Valley Benchmark) Night, Trees Q=50 .jpg
MJPEG Brightness - Bandicam and MSI Afterburner, Comparison (Unigine Valley Benchmark) Night, Trees Q=50 .jpg (236.64 KiB) Viewed 15831 times
I do not have a Brightness/Darkness problem with other codecs, it is all the same as it looks on the screen, when recorded with Bandicam. I realize this doesn't directly help those having trouble, but it does show that it works for many (most?) people and perhaps there is other incompatibilities somewhere, with specific games and how they are being interacted with by the system.

I don't know if aerohead is still around, or if this will help others, but sometimes the Control Panel settings for the GPU can override the in-game settings, which can mean dark captures, depending on how the recording software 'hooks' onto the game process (at what level, compared to the GPU interface with the Monitor). I mention this because someone commented above that recording in "Rectangle On A Screen" mode turned out the same brightness as the Desktop.
The Control Panel and Media Playback settings can affect how an application both records and decodes the video data, mainly affecting how a Media Player and how Previews in video editing applications will look. Perhaps checking if these settings are 'off' or at a desired setting, may help. I am just throwing ideas out there, this may not be the issue, of course. In the end, it may be a combination of certain games, how they utilize the Drivers, and how recording program interact with them... A complicated issue, in my opinion.

I hope that it begins to work properly for everyone, soon though!
Last edited by GameTipsAndMore Blog on Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PXAbstraction

Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:53 am

Good suggestions! I'll definitely look into those. I like Bandicam because it has the best compatibility and doesn't have a nightmare fuel UI like Dxtory does, plus it doesn't generate files that are gigs per second and that I can actually open natively in Vegas Pro. However, one of the games I'm current doing a series of is Blues and Bullets, a largely black and white noire game and using Bandicam to record it results in some scenes being so dark, you basically can't tell what's going on. I'm hoping your suggestions help and the problem is external to Bandicam itself.

GameTipsAndMore Blog

Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:51 am

Unfortunately, we couldn't find a good solution for the game issue.

If I can pop back in with a Suggestion, perhaps include somewhere an option for the user to choose what Colorspace they record in (bt.709/601/ "Full Range", etc) - although I realize this may be too confusing for the average user - perhaps if it was behind an Advanced Settings button or something similar... This is a difficult thing to approach, due to so many variations of hardware, etc. I wish you luck with it
Good suggestions! I'll definitely look into those. I like Bandicam because it has the best compatibility and doesn't have a nightmare fuel UI like Dxtory does, plus it doesn't generate files that are gigs per second and that I can actually open natively in Vegas Pro. However, one of the games I'm current doing a series of is Blues and Bullets, a largely black and white noire game and using Bandicam to record it results in some scenes being so dark, you basically can't tell what's going on. I'm hoping your suggestions help and the problem is external to Bandicam itself.
I agree - those are some of the many reasons I prefer Bandicam (being able to open the MP4 videos in Vegas and other editors easily, small file sizes with decent quality, etc) :mrgreen:

That' s unfortunate it's not working for that game... I wonder if in some games altering it internally would help? (eg. the Gamma or Brightness settings within the game). I have not tried this yet though, hmm.

SuperGod

Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:32 am

Cmon bandisoft.

This is a real issue, bandicam does capture ALOT games without user gamma settings being applied.
I know this is for the speed, but this option should be implemented.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3434
There is nothing to consider.

Fixing gamma settings doing final encode is just another unnecessary task when program can do this on the fly.
Even "stupid" free MSI AB has this option implemented.

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:39 pm

Hi SuperGod,

Please take your time.

Return to “Bandicam - General Discussion”