xavier1

Feature request:File size calculation and optimization

Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:43 am

Hi,
When you upload videos constantly to youtube, you are worried bout the file size and how much time you will spend to upload a set of videos.
Compression and high quality is what all youtubers worldwide need to produce and share videos.
It should be great, that we could have more information in Bandicam when we are going to capture something.
Let's imagine I want to capture full screen, 1920 x 1080.
Okay.
Now I adjust Bandicam to some settings I think are okay, but I am not sure, because I cannot see the final result.
Okay, so it would be great you apply a new STATISTICS TAB.
It will give you basic but powerful information about the file size and quality of the video.
When you click on this tab... you will see a header, telling you the parameters you used to compress the video
And... THIS IS IMPORTANT... a time scale with minutes and megabytes....
In this way...
15 min 30min 1h 1.30h 2h 2.30h 3h 3.30h 4h 4.30h 5h 5.30h
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
60MB 120MB 180MB... etc. etc.

In this way, before starting to record anything, people can know how much will be the file size and adjust better the settings in advance.
As far as I know, no one did this before in any screen recording utility, so you would be the first.
Cheers

Zuzu_Typ

Re: Feature request:File size calculation and optimization

Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:13 am

Hello xavier1,

I suggested this back in 2014 in this post

therefore it is probably not a good idea to have a statistics tab, because you cannot calculate that information when you want to record a game.

Though I suggested a very similar feature just a few days ago, that you would probably be totally fine with.
https://forum.bandisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5379

Have a nice day and best regards,
--Zuzu_Typ--

xavier1

Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:30 am

You can always calculate that information before recording anything, a game or the desktop.
You first select the recording method, frame rate, area or full screen, compression, etc.
When you are done, then, automatically in the statistics tab you have a report.
Bandicam is able to estimate this. This feature isn't anything new. Premiere from Adobe gives you estimations.
The report goes from 15 minutes, to a certain number of hours, by defualt 5 hours.
Who want to record a video longer than 5 hours? Normally 5 hours are enogh. However, you can enter more time if you want.

So you will see a bar like this
15 min ------- 60 MB
30 min ------- 130 MB
1 hour -------- 260 MB
1.30 hours --- 320 MB
2 hours ------- 350 MB
And the list continue to a certain range of hours. 5 hours by default.
If you want a longer list, then in the field
RECORDING TIME:
You introduce the number of hours you estimate your video will last.
So, you have configured Bandicam to record the full screen or an screen area. Also, you told it the compression, frame rate, quality, etc.
And also, you are telling Bandicam the time you have in mind the video will last. I am doing a videotutorial, I think with 1 hour is enough. Okay, you introduce the time.
Now, in the statistic tab it gives you a report, a list... indicating minutes or hours and megabytes used in the recording.
With this method you can estimate in advance, how heavy will be your video, always.
This will help you to calculate things.
Oh, 1 hours 500 MB? That's very heavy. I will need to apply lower frame rate or more compression or just recording an area from the screen, you apply the changes and you go to the Statistics Tab, and see the report
Wow, now it is 280 MB, that is cool. Now I am ready to record the video.
That way is how this feature is used.
Although Premiere from Adobe gives you estimations in video projects... you have a timeline of 2 hours, with your current settings this will take 1 GB or 2 GB for example... no one did this before to estimate in advance the recording time for a screen capture.
With the method I suggest it is possible, and easy to do
;)
*LG*

Zuzu_Typ

Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:55 am

You might not have gotten the point.

The estimation itself wouldn't be very hard to do, but because every game uses a different and also varying amount of space per recording time period, it is impossible to calculate how big the recording will be at a specific time.

I asked for a test recording to have a good estimation of how much space will be taken per recording minute, but I think Bandisoft disliked the idea.
https://forum.bandisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4688

Technically you could also have a database with averages on size/minute for each game, which I kind of also suggested in that post.

I guess you probably only want to record your screen, for which the estimation would be very possible, but most people use Bandicam for game recording and it would not be worth it to have this feature for just the screen-recorders

Best regards,
--Zuzu_Typ--

xavier1

Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:40 pm

I got the point but I think you did not understand very well how this works.
First, you need experience programming. I used to be a computer programmer, so I know this is possible.
Second, because Adobe did this, and you can check out this work in Premiere.
Third, because to calculate an estimation, you only need data.
What data do you need?
[*]Capture Screen Resolution
[*]Capture Frame rate
[*]Capture compression settings
[*]With those parameters, you can create an accurate estimation.
Your point about games and variable frame rate do not affect at all the estimation.
Sorry, but computer programmers normally think about maths and data, so if I have all my data I can do my equations and I can get my estimations. I am sorry if sometimes we are very exact, as yes, or no. Black or White, no more colors.
An estimation is what the estimation word means, estimation. No exact value, but very close to the exact value.
Regarding capturing the screen just for games, I do not agree.
You are misleading the real market of a screen capture utility.
Perhaps your case is recording only games.
But there is a enormous market out there for people wanting to create presentations, videotutorials, etc.
Millions of Youtubers uploading videos to Youtube, that need to capture the screen. So just thinking in "games" is not enough.
I am sure Bandisoft like money, so they would like to create a software for everyone.
So the idea is making the best software for gamers (perhaps your case)
And also the best software for Youtubers (with millions of potential customers in Youtube).
The competence is also doing this, Corel with the screen capture utility... in Pinnacle, ZD Soft... etc. etc. so I am sure Bandisfot wouldn't like to see how their product is being inferior in features.
I thank you for your comments, but I think I am right in my point of view.
Cheers

Zuzu_Typ

Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:45 pm

Yay, I love discussing. :)

So you did not get the point, at least not completely.

So first of all, I am using Bandicam mostly to record tutorials and stuff so I technically have the same point of view as you do, additionally I am a programmer too.

The problem is, that people would be unhappy that you could only use the function when recording a screen and it wouldn't be a good use for gamers like them, so they would ask to get equality and Bandisoft would have to rethink again.

That is why This feature wouldn't be worth it, it should rather be included in a different way, that is suitable for all users.

Also you would need more data,
  • System Specs
    Average (game) recording speed and disk usage
    Writing speed
    and other minor factors

So the easiest ways to do this I suggested already.
Using a short test/debug recording or having a database containing averages
and
Having it estimated while recording

That are the only solutions that seem useful to me.

Best regards,
--Zuzu_Typ--

xavier1

Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:46 pm

I don't agree ;)
I see easier the statistics tab, in a single tab you have the time estimation for your recording.
Bandicam is intended also to record videotutorials, in fact, it allows mouse click effects, when recording.
Mouse click effects are not useful for game recording, so Bandisoft is clearly interested in videotutorials recording.
As I said before, knowing how heavy in megabytes size is your project, helps considerably to know what adjustments you have to tackle to apply more or less compression, etc.
I am sure many people would love this feature.
;)
Cheers

Zuzu_Typ

Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:07 pm

And that is the point,

I would love to have this feature as well, so it should be for all users, right?

Return to “Bandicam - General Discussion”