Krypto

Can't play long footage of H264 - NVENC (VBR)

Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:58 am

Hi all,

I recorded a long play of Painkiller using the NVENC codec with the following settings:

AVI
Full Size
FPS 120
Codec H264 (NVIDIA NVENC)
Quality 100

PCM
Stereo 48000

VBR
GTX 960
Keyframe 150
H264

http://imgur.com/a/gkTP2

My system settings are:

CPU : 3431 Mhz x4 ( GenuineIntel )
DirectX : version 9.0 or later Installed (4.09.00.0904)
VGA : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
Bandicam : 3, 1, 1, 1073 Installed

After finishing 5 hours and 20 minutes of footage coming in at 336GB, it won't open in Windows Media player, it simply hangs and looks as if it's attempting to load it, with VLC it can play the audio but no footage, opening it in Movie Maker for compression only opens a blank 7 second clip.

When I did some test recording earlier of around 8 mins prior to the long play, it was able to play back fine and I could compress it with Movie Maker easily.

Their were no crashes during the recording, is NVENC capable of recording long gameplay footage or is it not possible? I read elsewhere about long gameplay footage having problems rendering in media players (https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/vi ... ram.20222/)

Is their any way to fix/recover the video or do I have to re-record it? If so what's an ideal method, do I have to use another codec or should I use the same settings but split the video after every hour to avoid the problem?

Thanks for your time!

Zuzu_Typ

Re: Can't play long footage of H264 - NVENC (VBR)

Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:34 am

Hello Krypto,

I'm glad to meet the first person to read the forum rules - great! :lol:
... well at least the first I have seen.

I'll try to help you as much as I can, which isn't much in this case, but normally the Bandisoft Forum manager goes online in about 12 hours.

There have been multiple threads with a similar topic and I even found a quite good resemblance here.

Unfortunately Bandisoft didn't give any additional information on wether or not it is possible to recover the footage and if so how.

By default if there is a playback issue, it is suggested to use a different media player, like VLC, but since you already use that, I don't think that using GOM or POT video player will change anything, nevertheless you can try.

Additionally Bandisoft usually asks you to send them ( bandicam@bandisoft.com ) your video file or a short clip of it.

You could also try if you can convert your video to a different file format to see if that does anything, using a convertor like Bandicut.

I hope I was able to help you,
--Zuzu_Typ--

Krypto

Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:15 am

Thanks for the quick response Zuzu, and yes I did read the recommendation on how to make new posts for support ;D

Thanks for linking that other thread it provided some insight, seems that AVI has problems with files over 100GB but MP4 doesn't apparently. I tried converting the footage to MP4 with Bandicut as you suggested but when I try to convert it comes up with encoding failed (0x16).

I'm alright with re-recording but I need to establish why this occured in the first place to prevent it happening again, it seems to be a misconfiguration of recording settings issue because apparently NVENC has problems rendering long videos. From what I can gather trying MP4 might resolve this, I didn't use x264 as I didn't intend to edit the footage with Sony Vegas and changing the Key Frame Interval to 1 just triples the size of the uncompressed footage so I stuck to H264.

GameTipsAndMore Blog

Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:39 am

Thanks for the quick response Zuzu, and yes I did read the recommendation on how to make new posts for support ;D

Thanks for linking that other thread it provided some insight, seems that AVI has problems with files over 100GB but MP4 doesn't apparently. I tried converting the footage to MP4 with Bandicut as you suggested but when I try to convert it comes up with encoding failed (0x16).

I'm alright with re-recording but I need to establish why this occured in the first place to prevent it happening again, it seems to be a misconfiguration of recording settings issue because apparently NVENC has problems rendering long videos. From what I can gather trying MP4 might resolve this, I didn't use x264 as I didn't intend to edit the footage with Sony Vegas and changing the Key Frame Interval to 1 just triples the size of the uncompressed footage so I stuck to H264.
If I may pop in on this, I used to record with x264 as well (and experience issues with Vegas also, like the 'trails' or other corruption problems) - but Bandicam's H264 codecs in the MP4 container don't seem to have this issue anymore (I'm not sure which version it all started working fine with Vegas though, sorry).

Here is a quick GIF of a Test I did just now (for this Thread) showing it in Vegas without all the troubles (trails or corruption, etc), even the Audio imports nicely now:
Honeycam 2016-08-02 20-30-55 - Test - Banicam h264 in Sony Vegas Movie Studio 13 .gif
Honeycam 2016-08-02 20-30-55 - Test - Banicam h264 in Sony Vegas Movie Studio 13 .gif (151.05 KiB) Viewed 7910 times
[Tested with h264-CPU and h264-AMDAPP in MP4 (sorry I don't own an NVIDIA GPU that supports NVENC at the moment to test that, maybe next upgrade I'll pick The Green Team, heh)]

Try it on your system - hopefully it will work for you now :mrgreen:

Dfactor

Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:15 am

You should consider using Auto Complete Recording.
It would split the footage into smaller pieces, making sure that they're not too big and don't cause playback issues.
If you're using .AVI container then you could try using players such as MPC-HC (freeware player) to check if it's corrupted or not.
You could also try opening it with VirtualDub (freeware powerful legacy converting/editing software for .AVI (and .MP4 with plugins)).
If you'll ever need compatibility with the editing software such as Vegas/Movie Studio Platinum then you should stay with 1 keyframe interval and specifically CBR which does produce high filesize. It doesn't really matter which container you use, I personally prefer .avi for wider software support.

As I said earlier to prevent such situation from occurring you should never produce 1 large file, instead set for smaller ones. And once you begin capturing you should take a break and review the footage you've captured even if you know everything should be fine. You can use VirtualDub's "Direct Stream Copy" feature and append multiple parts and merge them into one without recompressing. There are time/size limits, but you can increase those in software's settings.

Let us know if you're able to recover the footage.

GameTipsAndMore Blog

Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:31 pm

If I may pop back in, since you used the AVI container, you can try using Bandifix (built into Bandicam) on the AVI file/recording and see if it can Repair it for you :geek: Here is the location in the Windows 10 Start Menu, after installing Bandicam:
Try Bandifix on AVI files to Repair them (shown in Windows 10 Start Menu location) by The Game Tips And More Blog .jpg
Try Bandifix on AVI files to Repair them (shown in Windows 10 Start Menu location) by The Game Tips And More Blog .jpg (171.9 KiB) Viewed 7866 times
Good luck with it!

Return to “Bandicam - General Discussion”