PhilStrahl

Recording in 4:4:4?

Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:39 am

I've run some tests and noticed that Bandicam does not, in fact, record entirely lossless.

It seems that Bandicam will always deliver an alreay compressed output to any codec itself, specifically what looks like to be video with 4:2:2 chroma subsampling. This is especially apparent in fine, red details that are smaller than 4 pixels.

This is fine for most games, of course, but since I'm recording a lot of retro games where every pixel matters, I'd really would like to enable Bandicam to offer a true uncompressed 4:4:4 mode.
Will this ever happen?

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Re: Recording in 4:4:4?

Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:05 pm

Hello PhilStrahl,

Are you using the full version of Bandicam after the license registration?

Please note that when you use the free version of Bandicam, the video is saved as YV12 in order to add the watermark even if you chose the external RGB codec and check the "Prefer RGB colorspace" option on Bandicam 3.3.3.

If you have the same issue with the full version of Bandicam, please get back to us with your codec settings.

Thank you.

PhilStrahl

Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:34 pm

Thank you very much for your quick reply! Yes, I had been running the full version (3.3.0) and have now updated to the latest build (3.3.3.1209).

With the "Preserve RGB" option enabled it looks better than before, yet still there's a 2x2 pixel subsampling happening now. Here's a comparison (click to see the unscaled PNG):

I've tested the latest TechSmith codec and Lagarith Lossless, both exhibit the same problems with Bandicam but not when exporting the source image with VirtualDub or After Effects.

As I said, I am probably the only one noticing & complaining about such a small issue but since I am very happy with every other aspect for Bandicam, and I really don't want to switch over to another software just for the occasions when I need chroma pixel-perfect recording.

Thanks!

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:48 am

Hello PhilStrahl,

Thank you for your response.
We've forwarded it to our development team.

We appreciate your report.
Thank you.

dylantopline

Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:12 am

I can confirm that this is an issue. With "Prefer RGB colorspace" selected within Bandicam and "Keep/Accept only RGB" selected within the VfW codec config, the resulting videos have clearly been chroma sub-sampled in some way. See below

Original

After Bandicam

This is much less important than the visual quality, but this issue also hurts compressibility with lossless codecs. Here the post Bandicam image is more than 50% larger than the original.

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:42 am

Hello dylantopline,

Thank you for your report.
We think our development team has already fixed the issue regarding the external codec.
It will be available in the next update which is scheduled for release in 2 weeks or so.

We appreciate you all for your effort to report the issue.

Thank you.

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:23 pm

Hello,

We are pleased to inform you that the bug where Bandicam does not record entirely lossless when using external codecs is fixed on Bandicam 3.4.0.

Please refer to the following page for more information.

https://forum.bandicam.com/viewtopic.ph ... 586#p19279
- RGB24 codec resulted in quality loss in the registered version.
- External codec which supports RGB input such as MagicYUV, Lagarith, x264 resulted in quality loss.

Thank you.

PhilStrahl

Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:47 am

Just tried it out, seems to be working! Thank you very much! :D

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:00 am

Hello PhilStrahl,

We're glad to hear that.
Thank you for your feedback!