Troy

[Suggestion] Recording Buffer / Loop

Sat May 12, 2012 10:39 am

After trying out the trial version (great job on letting it be unrestricted besides the logo, so that all the features can be tried out), I am now a Registered Supporter of Bandicam! I love how it compresses the recording on-the-fly and doesn't have any of the huge file sizes that other game recording software create, while keeping the quality - way to go Bandi :!:

My suggestion for future versions is, possibly having a buffer or recording loop, where a specified amount of time is buffered, that way when something happens that you want to save, it can make sure to 'keep' that portion of video, so you do not miss what happened.
Since it would be using the hard drive to buffer the period of time, as a file, there would maybe need to be a warning that it is using the hard drive as a buffer (if that is how it would be set up) and that it may affect the performance of Bandicam. Perhaps you could figure out another way, since you got Bandicam working so well.

I suppose that such a thing may not be needed, since we can record the entire gameplay session with Bandicam and the amount of space it takes up :lol: Just wonderful stuff, I am proud to be a Supporter of Bandicam.

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Re: [Suggestion] Recording Buffer / Loop

Mon May 14, 2012 12:24 am

Hello Troy!

We have added your idea in our TO DO LIST.

Thank you for suggesting the Recording Buffer / Loop idea.

astrix_au

Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:28 am

Great! I Hope your list isn't long :D

SnQQpy

Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:07 pm

Hey Bandisoft, You guys need to check out the prerecord feature in Afterburner if you haven't already. The option here is to offer Buffer to RAM or File. You can buffer by time or target file size reached, whichever is sooner. The important thing is definitely offer Buffer to RAM as constant buffering to SSD would/does worry a lot of people because of the constant writes and rewrites created by buffering to file.

The way it works for AB is a manual or auto-buffer prerecord. If you set to manual you have a Hotkey to begin buffering, and a Hotkey to save the buffer/file. Once the Hotkey is pressed though, buffer is dumped to file but recording continues until you hit the record Hotkey again. At that point the file is saved and then buffering to RAM restarts, until you hit record again and so on. In Auto prerecord, buffering begins on the launch of a 3D app and quits on exit of the game.

Hope that was clear and made sense? :D

Anyway would be a very welcome feature!
Asus RIVE
i7 3930K (C2)
Corsair H80i Hydro
Platinum Dominator 32GB 1866 DDR3 Quad
4GB GTX 670 SC X2 SLi
Samsung 256GB x2 830 SSD RAID 1
HDD: 2TB WD Caviar Black | 1TB x2 WD Caviar Red
Dell U3011 30" LCD + 24"x2 Samsung 2443
Win7 Pro x64

FoxTwo

Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:16 am

I support this idea (and glad that the devs have put it on a to-do list) :)

I can then disable Shadowplay and use Bandicam exclusively now :D

apachesquirrel

Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:08 am

Did this ever get anywhere? perhaps it's still on the to do list? I'm getting a number of crashes in software I use and it would be good to record events like this without just recording all day long and then deleting it.

I think 30 secs buffered to ram would be plenty for this. Certainly no more than a minute.

Thanks.

GameTipsAndMore Blog

Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:44 pm

Just wanted to pop in and say I support this,

Afterburner is great, but it conflicts with AMD Gaming Evolved (Raptr) and some games don't like it *coughhearthstonecough* - whereas Bandicam runs with 'everything' and it all works great...

Good luck with it!

Edit: added that MSI_AB doesn't seem to work with Hearthstone :( ... caman bandeh, save us all!
Last edited by GameTipsAndMore Blog on Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

FoxTwo

Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:41 am

Bumpity bump.... any updates from the devs on this?

n1xon

Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:22 pm

is this feature still on the to do list?

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:39 pm

Hello,

We will post an update announcement on the forum when the function is added.

Thank you.

n1xon

Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:58 pm

Bandicam Company wrote:Hello,

We will post an update announcement on the forum when the function is added.

Thank you.

do you have an eta? or rough guess of when it will be release?

solo_888

Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:21 pm

Any updates? We are missing this feature so much...

FoxTwo

Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:57 am

It's been 6 years (since 2012 when the post was first written)... any hints of whether this feature is even being "considered"? At the very least, let us know whether it's "not feasible, we're not going to do it" or "yes we're getting around to it".

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:54 pm

This function is marked as low priority.

Every time we get this question, we have no idea of what to say.
We will forward your request to the development team again.

We're sorry that we couldn't give you the answer you wished for.

GameTipsAndMore Blog

Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:40 am

Bandicam Company wrote:This function is marked as low priority.

Every time we get this question, we have no idea of what to say.
We will forward your request to the development team again.

We're sorry that we couldn't give you the answer you wished for.

If I may make a comment, that is a 'good enough reply', I suppose.
It lets us all know that your company still thinks of it and/or knows about it - and that you are not 'working on it' very much. That is all your choice and we should all thank you for this Reply.

If I may add though, I am unsure as to why such a useful function is not a higher priority...
Part of why I do NOT use some other recording programs, is that they do not have this function (buffered loop recording, saving the clip when the user desires to save "what just happened").
I use Bandicam because I have for so long now, for straight recording though, only when no buffered loop recording is needed... However, I find I am using other game recorders more and more (for buffered recording, 'saving the last 30 seconds') because that is how to catch things that happen in the gameplay that are interesting ("saving what just happened").

It is great to see Bandicam adding things like Webcam usage and 'writing on the screen' - and Bandicam is such a great Recorder program - but I have fears for Bandicam, that without features like
» Buffer/Loop Recording
» Streaming Capability (Twitch, YouTube, etc)
that many people will not use Bandicam and/or go to other programs, if features like these are not included soon...
It is just a Suggestion of course, Bandicam does not 'need these things'; but I also do not want to see Bandicam disappear or be 'left behind' in the crowd of programs.

I also realize there are many people that want Bandicam to do even more, such as light Clip Editing (cut, save clips, etc) and light Image Editing (resize screenshot, add filters/colors, etc)… it can all become so much, and make Bandicam so big and bulky - maybe someday make a statement, that you either "want to do EVERYTHING in the future [in Bandicam]" or "we will make other programs in the future that do those things [someday having programs like BandiEdit or BandiClip, etc]" or that you "don't want to do everything, just Really Good Recording ONLY [for Bandicam]", so that people do not ask anymore, hehe - I don't know, I am just shooting out ideas, trying to help.
Whatever happens, I still wish Bandicam all the best. It is still such a great recording program, no matter what. GL out there
("Hope That Helps!") ~ Troy from The Game Tips And More Blog

azzyish12

Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:28 pm

GameTipsAndMore Blog wrote:Just wanted to pop in and say I support this,

Afterburner is great, but it conflicts with AMD Gaming Evolved (Raptr) and some games don't like it *coughhearthstonecough* - whereas Bandicam runs with 'everything' and it all works great...

Good luck with it!

Code: Select all

https://notepad.software/

https://downloader.vip/malwarebytes/

https://filezilla.software/

Edit: added that MSI_AB doesn't seem to work with Hearthstone :( ... caman bandeh, save us all!

buffer (or just buffer) is a region of a physical memory storage used to temporarily store data while it is being moved from one place to another. Typically, the data is stored in a buffer as it is retrieved from an input device (such as a microphone) or just before it is sent to an output device (such as speakers). However, a buffer may be used when moving data between processes within a computer. This is comparable to buffers in telecommunication. Buffers can be implemented in a fixed memory location in hardware—or by using a virtual data buffer in software, pointing at a location in the physical memory. In all cases, the data stored in a data buffer are stored on a physical storage medium. A majority of buffers are implemented in software, which typically use the faster RAM to store temporary data, due to the much faster access time compared with hard disk drives. Buffers are typically used when there is a difference between the rate at which data is received and the rate at which it can be processed, or in the case that these rates are variable, for example in a printer spooler or in online video streaming.

Return to “Bandicam - General Discussion”