SuperFashi

Raw WAV didn't record as raw input format

Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:09 pm

In the audio settings of the system, I have set my microphone to, say, 88.2kHz 24bit mono, but after the recording, the format of the sound is actually 88.2kHz 16bit mono, which is surely not the original setting, aka raw.

And when I checked "Save audio tracks while recording", the format of the individual files all have the right sample rate but incorrect bit depth, which is 32bit (float), so surely not raw as well.

I do think this is a bug and hope that it can be fixed soon.

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Re: Raw WAV didn't record as raw input format

Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:38 pm

Hello SuperFashi,
In the audio settings of the system, I have set my microphone to, say, 88.2kHz 24bit mono, but after the recording, the format of the sound is actually 88.2kHz 16bit mono, which is surely not the original setting, aka raw.
If you use the "Two Sound Mixing" option, the audio is encoded to 16bit WAVE by Bandicam.

If you use the "Save audio tracks while recording" option, the bit depth of the sound data depends on the definition by the sound card.
It seems that your sound card saves the RAW audio as 32bit (float).

Thank you.

SuperFashi

Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:18 pm

Hello SuperFashi,
If you use the "Two Sound Mixing" option, the audio is encoded to 16bit WAVE by Bandicam.

If you use the "Save audio tracks while recording" option, the bit depth of the sound data depends on the definition by the sound card.
It seems that your sound card saves the RAW audio as 32bit (float).

Thank you.
I am not using Mixing option and am saving two sound input as individual tracks. I also can be pretty sure that the system settings is set correctly and my sound card is not powerful enough and/or able to save 32 bit float.

I also use other audio software like Audition, so I'm pretty confident with the above.

So, could you please confirm for me with the dev team because if you said so, that the sound data is decided by my sound card, this could be surely a bug.

I'll give you a full example of this:

I have two audio interfaces, one is an output, my headphone, another is an input, my microphone. My headphone is set to 44.1kHz 16bit stereo, and my microphone is set to 88.2kHz 24bit mono. Now in Bandicam settings, I choose the file format to AVI and change the audio setting to save as PCM and as raw. I open the audio settings of Bandicam, and check enable audio and save audio tracks while recording (.wav). I select Default Sound Device as the primary sound device, and my microphone interface as the second sound device. I also make sure that I do not check Two Sound Mixing option.

After recording, there is a AVI file and two WAV file. There are one video track and two audio tracks inside AVI file. The formats of those audio tracks are 44.1kHz 16bit stereo and 88.2kHz 16bit mono. However, the formats of those individual WAV files, are 44.1kHz 32bit float stereo and 88.2kHz 32bit float mono. That is a strange behavior because none of those file/track is in original (raw) format, and two ways of saving the audio can result in different formats.

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:58 pm

Hello,

We are sorry for not explaining enough.
The formats of those audio tracks are 44.1kHz 16bit stereo and 88.2kHz 16bit mono.
Regarding the audio tracks inside the AVI file, it is normal that they are saved as 16bit even if you have set to save as PCM and as raw.
When you use the raw audio option, the sample rate and channels are preserved but the depth is not preserved. It is not a bug but a specification of Bandicam at this moment.
However, the formats of those individual WAV files, are 44.1kHz 32bit float stereo and 88.2kHz 32bit float mono.
The behavior is actually correct.
Bandicam uses WASAPI for audio capture on Windows Vista or later versions. Audio is saved as 32bit float because the engine uses it for its internal processing.

We've forwarded your opinion to our development team and hopefully they will consider it in the future versions of Bandicam.

Thank you.

SuperFashi

Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:40 pm

Alright, it's really assuring to hear that it's actually a well documented behavior. Due to the space consuming and post processing considerations, I really do hope that someday Bandicam can save audio files as true RAW, meaning it keeps the channel, rate, and depth of the original input.

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:31 pm

Hello SuperFashi,

We've forwarded your opinion to our development team again.

Thank you.

Return to “Bandicam - General Discussion”