geoff2o9

Video stops on one frame whenever theres a moment of static

Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:45 pm

I'm trying to digitise my old vhs home videos. The videos appear to record just fine, then when I playback the video I just recorded, it goes fine until there is a brief moment of static on the tape (usually when the camera stops recording and then starts again), then the image freezes on a single frame (just before the static) and stays that way until the end of the recording. The audio keeps going right up to the end.
Is there a setting that needs to be changed?

GameTipsAndMore Blog

Re: Video stops on one frame whenever theres a moment of sta

Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:11 am

If I may pop in with an idea, can you try different Codecs in Bandicam? The reason why I am thinking this, is because most codecs are designed to vary the bitrate depending upon the changes it detects in the frames (more changes = allocate more bitrate) [this is in VBR mode, which Bandicam defaults to, I believe].

In the past, some codecs had issues when creating Keyframes (Keyframes, or Information Frames, are created when there is a large change in the data coming in (the changes on the screen)). I have not experienced this with Bandicam personally, but I have experienced this in other recording programs before I found Bandicam. Back then, switching to a different codec usually 'fixed' the issue.

Are you using some sort of pass-thru device (USB adapter, etc) for your VHS feed? Sometimes, these devices will think that STATIC on the screen is 'the end of the tape'. This might be happening as well. There might be settings for your device that you can adjust to try help this. (You might just have to stop/start recording around the static on the tape, sadly)

Perhaps one of these ideas may help... Good luck with it!

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Re: Video stops on one frame whenever theres a moment of sta

Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:51 pm

Hello geoff2o9,

As GameTipsAndMore Blog mentioned, changing the codec is one of the solutions.
Please refer to the following links for other solutions.

Start: I can't run Bandicam, it crashes/freezes/stops
https://www.bandicam.com/faqs/cannot-run/

Lag/Lagging: Computer lag, my computer runs slowly
https://www.bandicam.com/faqs/how_to_re ... recording/

Thank you.

Return to “Bandicam - General Discussion”