Jabberwock

Solution for slow hard disk

Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:17 am

I noticed that when recording for a long time the hard disk can fall behind the current capture. When that happenes the hard disk utilization is 100% but it's not good it causes lag in game.

My solution for this is that when this is occurring Bandicam can use the RAM instead, I mean why not? If one has a plenty of RAM it will be no issue for him. And the errors in the hard disk can disappear.

So it will look like this: The hard disk is slow > Bandicam uses the RAM to remove laginess > The hard disk still write but with X% bitrate per second > Everybody happy.
Last edited by Jabberwock on Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Re: Solution for slow hard disk

Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:50 pm

Hi Jabberwock,

We recommend you use "Auto complete recording" option when recording for a long time.

What is your "the hard disk utilization is 100%" mean?
Is it no free space available in the hard disk? or Is it HDD usage?
If there is no free space available in the hard disk, Bandicam can have the lag to find the available hard disk space.

Jabberwock

Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:18 pm

Sorry, I caused you to misunderstand. When I said "utilization is 100%" I meant that the hard disk is too busy with requests like copying, moving or reading. As I said before, while this happenes it causes lags in game.

For instance picture to yourself that Bandicam writes the captured game footage to a RAM disk - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAM_disk the lag caused by the hard disk is gone.
And that is what I did, I told Bandicam to write the video created to the RAM disk. It's much smoother as my hard disk is slow(green edition=5400RPM only).

So my suggestion to the developer of Bandicam is to implement a feature that is identifying big scenes in game and creating a buffer in the RAM to ease the hard disk's work by letting him to write 85% of the hard disk speed capability. Of course the hard disk will stay behind the current capture but he wiil catch up since the future scenes might not be as heavy(full of details=heavy bitrate per second).

I hope you will understand my idea.

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:54 pm

Thank you for the detailed explanation.

Bandicam is caching the video data while it is saving into the hard disk drive.
I noticed that when recording for a long time the hard disk can fall behind the current capture. When that happenes the hard disk utilization is 100% but it's not good it causes lag in game.
Even though you record for a long time, Bandicam is using the same hard disk utilization.
There are many reasons of the lag for the long time recording like Game, Bandicam, CPU, GPU, HDD, RAM...
We've shared your idea with the developers.

If you have another idea, please let us know.

Thank you! :D

Grimm Liberty

Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:29 am

I use a Ramdrive to record to.

It is super fast; recording @ 1920x1080x60fps is easily accomplished.

With the video compression Bandicam uses long recordings can be made before I hit the 'space wall'.

Return to “Bandicam - General Discussion”