ikrananka

NVENC H.264 Codec Profiles Questions

Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:26 am

It's great to see the introduction of profiles for the NVENC H.264 codec. However, I found the help page for this (https://www.bandicam.com/support/tips/h264-profile/) to be a little lacking and have a few suggestions/questions:

1. The table showing Size, Quality and Speed highlights three different profile settings for H264. However, it is not clear if the "H264" table entry is for a profile setting of "Main" or "High" or if this is applicable to both. It would be useful to make this clear.

2. There is a star rating for quality for each profile listed in the table. However, there is no indication of what "Quality" setting has been used, i.e. the Quality setting that appears below the profiles in the program which is set to 80 by default. Are the Quality star ratings in the table with "Quality" set to 80, or perhaps 100 or some other setting? (and of course there is no quality setting when High 4:4:4 lossless is the selected profile).

3. What is the equivalent profile setting that is the same as the earlier versions of Bandicam that didn't have the profiles option, i.e. does "Main" or "High" correspond to how Bandicam worked before profiles became an option?

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Re: NVENC H.264 Codec Profiles Questions

Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:44 am

Hello ikrananka,

1. We only provide basic information on the table. You can refer to the H264 row since there is not much difference between Main and High.
2. The table shows the results when the Quality is set to 80. However, we guess that the star rating would not be changed if the Quality is set to 100.
3. The earlier versions of Bandicam supported Auto. That means that the encoder selects Main or High profile case by case.

Thank you.

ikrananka

Re: NVENC H.264 Codec Profiles Questions

Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:55 pm

Great - thank you for the very useful reply.

In my testing, changing between quality settings of 80 to 100 made negligible difference in visual quality, but had a large effect on file size. I had been recording with Quality set to 100 but then moved it back to 80 after my testing.

I'll now need to do some testing with the new profile settings to see what works best for me.

Many thanks to the Bandicam team for continuing to provide great improvements to the software.

Return to “Bandicam - General Discussion”