Accessdenied

Older game not recording cutscenes

Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:48 pm

I like to record longplays for my youtube channel. Among them are my all time favorite games as a kid. Naturally, the older games are such a pain to record, due to newer versions of windows, direct x, resolutions... etc.

My issue currently is I am going to record a game called "Sacrifice", a game from Interplay that was released in 2000 I believe. I managed to get the game running, and recording the gameplay is very nice quality. However, when it changes over to a cutscene, both my monitors flash black, flicker, and go into the cut scene while I'm in game. On bandicam, however, the program automatically stops the recording and resumes it when the cutscene starts and stops. When I go back to look at the recordings, instead of one long recording, I have multiple for every cutsene plus the gameplay. The cutsene recordings are just black screens with sound.

Here is what I did to get the game to run and record as I described it. I'm using windows 10 by the way.

I have the most recent version of Bandicam.

In the compatibility tab I have "Disable fullscreen optimizations" checked.

I followed these instructions in the video game's discord:
"These are the fixes:

For Nvidia Graphics Cards + Windows 7:
https://mega.nz/#!NuhAyabS!HeSwqd_gzVmt ... xbbdjqJoxc

Download the Nvidia Inspector from here along with instructions. It is an older version that still supports the "PRE_D3D9_COMPATIBILITY_BITS"

1) Open Nvidia Inspector and under the driver version select profile settings (located in the middle of the program).

2) Then have the "_GLOBAL_DRIVER_PROFILE (Base Profile)" selected or you can make another one specialized for Sacrifice (located at the top of the window you opened). Then click "add application current profile" and add the original sacrifice.exe.

3) Click "Scan Nvidia Predefined Profiles..." (located to the upper right hand side of the window)
Please Note: If you can't do this then you must first click "Create a desktop shortcut to run profile settings" (located to the upper right hand side of the window) and run the newly created shortcut then scan "Scan Nvidia Predefined Profiles..."

4) After you finish scanning, scroll down to the Unknown Section and look for the Setting ID "PRE_D3D9_COMPATIBILITY_BITS" and set the Value to "0x00000040 (King's Bounty, X2: Wolverine's Revenge, Independence War 2 - Edge of Chaos, Falcon 4.0 Allied Force, MS Flight Simulator X, Links 2003, Gothic 2, Gothic 1)"

5) Hit apply settings (located to the upper right hand side of the window) and run Sacrifice.

6) Pair this fix with the sacrifice wide screen fix for the higher resolutions. https://mega.nz/#!9zQR0a4Z!NMB9O8JWtNRP ... ekDrC-hdb0"

The bandicam settings are on "Game Recording Mode", because when I try Screen Recording Mode, it locks the game up. My video settings are: "H264 - NVENC (VBR) (Auto), Full Size, 60fps, 100q.

After doing all this, the gameplay is exquisite and fluid. But, as I said, I can't get the cutscenes. As we all know, they are vital to the gameplay experience and to my longplay recordings.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Zuzu_Typ

Re: Older game not recording cutscenes

Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:32 pm

Hi Accessdenied,

I have encountered similar issues with old games, such as Prince of Persia 3D.
The issue with PoP3D is that only the game is displayed using DirectX.
All the menus and cutscenes are displayed using some kind of software-renderer (that cannot be hooked by Bandicam).
You simply will not be able to record the cutscenes in game recording mode, but you may be able cut them in in post (maybe you can find them online or in the game directory).

Of course, it could be that the issue is related to the aforementioned fix you've used.
To my understanding the "fix" enables legacy DirectX (7.0 or 8.0, ...) for the game..
I wouldn't recommend doing that, because it's usually more likely to produce weird errors on modern Windows (but apparently seems to work fine for this game).

A different approach would be rendering the game with a much more recent version of DirectX (DirectX 11) using a wrapper library.
This has worked for any game that uses an incompatible version of DirectX or DirectDraw for me.
The only wrapper I know is dgVoodoo by dege.
Using dgVoodoo is quite simple. Download the latest version, extract the archive (password is "dege") and copy the content of the folder called "MS" to where your game's main executable is located (usually in the game's root directory or in a subfolder called "bin").
This should also work with fullscreen optimizations enabled.
You can use the "dgVoodooCpl.exe" utility to configure gdVoodoo to your liking (for example, removing the watermark).
If this doesn't do the trick, I don't know what will.

Cheers,
--Zuzu_Typ--

Return to “Bandicam - General Discussion”