JustPassing

No h.264 codec option?

Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:57 pm

Hello,

I'm using Bandicam 2.1.0.707 and I don't have the option to record in the h.264 codec. I have all the other codecs. I'm not too knowledgeable about all this. When you say h.264, is there a normal h.264 besides those hardware accelerated versions (like h.264 NVIDEA Cuda)? My computer is not good enough for any of those, but I thought that there was supposed to be a "normal" h.264 that I could use under the .AVI file type.

In your codec comparison, you don't mention the .mp4 file format anywhere. How does it compare to the .AVI file format and the different codecs?

Do I have to install h.264? I'm pretty sure I can already play those types of videos, so I'm not sure what to do.

I realize I must sound like a real newbie or whatever, but I don't understand why I don't have h.264. Thanks!

Zuzu_Typ

Re: No h.264 codec option?

Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:43 am

I'm sorry, but there is no "normal" h.264 codec.

For AMD:
AMD Catalyst 13.10 beta or a higher version supports the H.264 encoder. (Catalyst 13.9 or lower versions don't support the H.264 encoder.)

For NVIDIA:
- Desktop GPU: Geforce GTX 600 series or higher graphics cards support the NVIDIA NVENC H.264 encoder.
- Laptop GPU: GTX 660M, 670MX, 675MX, 680M, and 700M series or higher graphics cards support the NVIDIA NVENC H.264 encoder.

For Intel:
- Most 2nd~4th generation Intel® Core™ i3/i5/i7 processors support the Quick Sync video function.
- However, previous generation Intel® Core™ i3/i5/i7 processors and some 2nd~4th generation processors do not support the Quick Sync video function.

Information from Bandicam.com

JustPassing

Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:16 am

Hey, thanks for the reply. I was able to download an external h.264 codec and use that as my codec. Which is better, an external h.264 .avi file or the .mp4 file format?

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:15 am

Hello!

If your computer doesn't support a hardware-accelerated H.264 encoder, use the 'XVID' or 'MPEG-1' video codec.

For more information, visit http://www.bandicam.com/support/tips/best-codec/

Dfactor

Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:26 am

Hey, thanks for the reply. I was able to download an external h.264 codec and use that as my codec. Which is better, an external h.264 .avi file or the .mp4 file format?
Just minor differences, depends on where you want to use them. It's just a container.

GameTipsAndMore Blog

Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:14 am

Just minor differences, depends on where you want to use them. It's just a container.
If I may pop in here, I'm sorry to clarify such a knowledgeable Bandicam user as Dfactor a bit, but the way Bandicam uses the MP4 file format makes the "MP4 File Type" choice quite a bit different from the "AVI File Type, then install h.264"...

If I may explain:

MP4 is indeed just a container/wrapper, but there are many options within the MPEG-4 codec [dozens!], and all of those internal options are available if a Bandicam user chooses "AVI File Type" and then installs an h.264 third-party ("External" in Bandicam) codec. They can open the configuration of the h.264 third-party version of the MPEG-4 codec and change many things that are internal to the codec's configuration and how it will create a video file.

However, they cannot make these changes if they use the "MP4 File Type" in Bandicam. Bandicam has the MPEG-4 'internal' options pre-set automatically within the "MP4 File Type" option - and these cannot be changed by the user (this is not really a bad thing, read on).

Some of the specific [internal] settings in Bandicam's "MP4 File Type" that I can see superficially are:
  • - It uses VFR (Variable Framerate Recording), where a user installing x264/h.264 as an External codec in Bandicam for use in the AVI filetype/container/wrapper will not create [cannot create] recordings using VFR by default

- It uses a built-in preset/profile that sets options within the MPEG-4 codec that are not able to be changed by the user, whereas a user installing x264/h.264 as an External codec in Bandicam (in the AVI File Type) can configure the x264/AVC/h.264 settings within the x264vfw interface (settings such as Deblocking, Partitions, Motion Estimation, etc). Using the "MP4 File Type", it is not possible to configure these advanced MPEG-4 settings.

In fact, this leads into the next point

- It utilizes the MPEG-4 Advanced Simple Profiles (it uses ASP/h.263 vs AVC/h.264).
    The codec being used in the "MP4 File Type" is MPEG-4 Part 2 (the same subtype as XviD/DivX), it is not MPEG-4 Part 10 (AVC/h.264). It is still a codec capable of good quality, it just does not have the internal MPEG-4 codec options that AVC/h.264 does (Deblocking, Partititions, etc) - but using MPEG-4 Part 2 (ASP/h.263) can have the benefit of faster compression (less lag while recording) than if a user uses "AVI File Type" and installs a third-party codec of h.264/AVC, where may also possibly configure settings that would negatively affect recording performance ('have more lag while recording').

I assume Bandi has chosen to go with a built-in profile that does not have highly-configurable settings [in the MP4 File Type option], to maintain recording performance and video editing application compatibility (where the MP4 File Type is currently refreshingly compatible/editable in NLEs such as Sony Vegas/MovieStudio, Adobe Premiere, etc)
Just a clarification... so while you are correct, Dfactor (normally MPEG-4 inside an MP4 file and an MPEG-4 inside an AVI are very similar), the way that Bandicam pre-configures MP4 for the user (and doesn't allow the user to change those settings) makes the AVI and MP4 file formats quite different, in this one program :geek:

Edit:
Sorry, had to change half of the post to be more accurate

Return to “Bandicam - General Discussion”