rgann

Static frame issue

Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:23 am

I'm having a strange problem with recording game footage on a particular game, The Last Express. The game sometimes static images on screen, and Bandicam is doing something very weird when an element on the screen has no motion. (Note that I have "Skip recording while frame is not updated" unchecked, so it's not that. When I had that checked it was a nightmare; huge sections of video were just not recording at all.)

Take, for instance, the mouse cursor in the game. When the mouse cursor is over a section of the screen that is changing (such as a window with a moving landscape or a character that's walking around), the mouse cursor shows up on the video on every frame. If it's over a static element, though, it shows up for only 1 frame, then disappears from the video output (it always appears on the screen). Subtitles, likewise, show up for only one frame, then disappear from the video output, even though they are shown on the screen.

I have tried recording screen rectangle instead of full screen, but that does not work with my multimonitor setup (Bandicam's rectangle is in the proper place, but it nevertheless records footage from a different monitor when the game goes fullscreen). This is Motion JPEG output, 30fps, if that matters.

Any ideas? I don't want to have to switch to Dosbox, as I'm not sure whether this game works well in it.

Thanks

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Re: Static frame issue

Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:24 pm

Hello rgann,

It seems that you tried all possible solutions.
If you can play the game in windowed mode, you may be able to record the game.

We're sorry that we couldn't solve your problem.

rgann

Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:19 am

Uh, but you guys have access to the source code, right? Isn't that something that you could fix? I installed a trial of a competing program and it worked flawlessly with the game. However, I've already paid for Bandicam. Wouldn't you guys like to be able to compete with the alternatives?

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:06 pm

We've tried The Last Express in Windows 7.
However, we couldn't reproduce the issue you mentioned.

We could record the game both in the 'Rectangle on a screen' mode and 'DirectX/OpenGL window' mode when the game was played in windowed mode.

Even though we could see the red fps numbers on the recorded video, Fraps also had the same issue with the game.

The Last Express is a very old direct draw based game.
Please play the game in windowed mode, and record it with the 'Rectangle on a screen' mode or 'DirectX/OpenGL window' mode.

We're sorry that we couldn't give you the answer you wished for.

rgann

Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:57 pm

Could you please let me know how you were able to get this game working in Windowed mode? Alt+enter does not do anything on my version. Mine is the original from discs, so I'm wondering if it's a version problem.

Thanks

jmqm

Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:44 pm

Did you try changing the format of your videos?

AVI doesn't compress the file
Motion JPEG compresses each frame

Download external codec here:
http://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html

rgann

Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:06 am

Thanks, I haven't tried that. The reason being is that I always edit my footage in Premiere, and every time I've used anything other than MJPEG I have not been able to get that to work. The Adobe Media Encoder doesn't play well with most codecs, and it also can't read the output of Handbrake in all instances. Very weird. So I follow the Bandicam suggestion of MJPEG. If someone has a working workflow into Premiere CC using AVI, I'd like to know.

Return to “Bandicam - General Discussion”