GameTipsAndMore Blog

Fallout 4 + Bandicam = Crash on Startup [Solved]

Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:15 pm

Just mentioning an issue that seems to be occurring with Fallout 4 and Bandicam - they do not seem to like each other...

- If Bandicam is running and I start Fallout 4, Fallout 4 crashes just after starting up.
- If Bandicam is not running and I start Fallout 4, Fallout 4 runs fine.
- I can start Bandicam after Fallout 4 is running fully (both will work together after that).
- This occurs with Screen Recording Mode and Game Recording Mode.

I would not mention it perhaps, but this does not occur with a couple other Game Recording Programs I tried (I will not mention them here out of respect for Bandicam, but they work with starting up Fallout 4, not the same behaviour as Bandicam).

I might bring this up at the Bethesda Forum too, in case it helps (the developers of Fallout 4 game).

Enjoying Bandicam otherwise, good performance and low file sizes as always - keep up the great work! 8-)
Last edited by GameTipsAndMore Blog on Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Re: Fallout 4 + Bandicam = Crash on Startup

Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:58 am

Hello GameTipsAndMore Blog,

Could you check if you have the same issue when you uncheck the "Show FPS Overlay" option with Bandicam 3.4.4?
Also, we'd like to know your settings on the Compatibility tab of the Bandicam properties window which opens by right-clicking on the Bandicam shortcut icon.
Could you attach the screenshot of it?

We look forward to your reply.

Thank you.

GameTipsAndMore Blog

Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:49 pm

Could you check if you have the same issue when you uncheck the "Show FPS Overlay" option with Bandicam 3.4.4?
Also, we'd like to know your settings on the Compatibility tab of the Bandicam properties window which opens by right-clicking on the Bandicam shortcut icon.
Could you attach the screenshot of it?

We look forward to your reply.

Thank you.
Hello Bandicam! Thank you for your reply, I would be happy to provide this information.

Here is a Screenshot of the Compatibility Tab of the Bandicam Properties (I have no Compatibility Options Enabled, taken with Bandicam 3.4.4.1264)
bandicam properties, compatibility tab.jpg
bandicam properties, compatibility tab.jpg (77.12 KiB) Viewed 12694 times
Testing starting the game (Fallout 4) with the 'Show FPS Overlay' option Disabled, the game still Crashes immediately upon Startup, unfortunately.
Although they do not give much information, here are the sequence of two messages that is displayed when attempting to start the game, with Bandicam running:
bandicam + Fallout 4 = error message, crash 1 .jpg
bandicam + Fallout 4 = error message, crash 1 .jpg (11.77 KiB) Viewed 12694 times
bandicam + Fallout 4 = error message, crash 2 .jpg
bandicam + Fallout 4 = error message, crash 2 .jpg (13.99 KiB) Viewed 12694 times
If it helps at all, I have also tried to Uncheck/Disable the 'Block DirectX Video Overlay' option, in the Hooking Target section of the Hooking Tab of the Advanced Options of Bandicam (just as an idea), which sadly had no effect (the game still 'crashed' upon Startup).

Also, I noticed there was a Driver Update available for my NVIDIA GTX 1060 GPU (released four days ago), so I updated it (to version 384.94); but sadly it did not change any conditions (Fallout 4 still crashes on startup if Bandicam is running already but I am able to record with Bandicam if I close Bandicam, start the game and let it load fully, then start Bandicam again).

Please let me know if you would like any other additional information and I would be happy to provide it.

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:57 pm

Could you please try some old versions of Bandicam including Bandicam 2.3.1?
- Download: https://bandicam.en.uptodown.com/windows/old

Please let us know your result.

GameTipsAndMore Blog

Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:03 am

Could you please try some old versions of Bandicam including Bandicam 2.3.1?
- Download: https://bandicam.en.uptodown.com/windows/old

Please let us know your result.
Thank you for the idea.

I tried about every 2-3 versions, all the way back to version 1.6 (nice collection for users to test with by the way, easy interface) - sadly, all of them did the same thing.

I am going to take some versions to another machine soon and try them on the Fallout 4 there (they have an AMD GPU), to see if there is any difference.
I am also going to test some Compatibility Settings on my own machine as soon as I can.

While not a huge issue (I am still able to record Fallout 4), if you want to investigate this odd 'startup' issue further, I would be happy to do other tests if you have any ideas.

GameTipsAndMore Blog

Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:56 am

I have found what was causing the issue...

I was testing the various Compatibility Options and saw that there were some extra files in the Fallout 4 game folder/directory.

Looking at the files, they were related to ReShade, a utility that is similar to SweetFX, where an injector creates visual effects/changes (such as Contrast Enhancement, Film Grain, etc) for games. I removed these files (so that the game folder is as unchanged as the Retail game would be) and then the game started without error, with Bandicam running in the background (the issue was not occurring)!

While this solves what was going on, please accept my apologies that I had forgotten I was doing some testing with that visual effects utility/addon last year, and those files were still there. It was so long I completely forgot about it and that it was present. Sorry about that...

However, perhaps this may help those that run into this same issue - if the game is 'crashing immediately upon startup, when Bandicam is running already' - it is possibly due to a utility or addon that is utilizing Direct3D to create or simulate visual effects.

I thank you for your sincere and speedy Support in helping to find the cause of this 'odd issue'. Of course it wasn't Bandicam! haha :lol: (just kidding - but thank you for your assistance.. marking as "Solved"). Keep up the great work!

Edit:
Actually, since other Game Recording programs did not have an issue with this Direct3D effects injector utility (the game started with them running in the background, but did not with Bandicam running in the background), perhaps it could still be mentioned to whomever may be concerned at Bandisoft...
(Some files it used were dxgi.dll, and corresponding .ini files)
If you wish me to perform any tests with that utility (ReShade/SweetFX) and Bandicam, if it helps you at all, I would be happy to do so.
Last edited by GameTipsAndMore Blog on Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Re: Fallout 4 + Bandicam = Crash on Startup [Solved]

Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:26 pm

Thank you for your additional report.
We'll try to recreate your issue and our development team will solve it once it has been recreated.

We appreciate you all for your effort to report the issue.

Thank you.

Return to “Bandicam - General Discussion”