GT500

Bandicam Often Fails to Hook Games (No FPS, Can't Record))

Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:15 am

Video Card: ASUS STRIX-GTX1080TI (GeForce driver 391.01)
Bandicam Version: 4.1.4.1413
Bandicam Mode: Game Recording Mode

I would believe I have observed this issue with almost every game (examples include PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, Star Trek Online, Space Hulk: Deathwing - Enhanced Edition, Tera, etc). Bandicam is running, however when you launch the game Bandicam never hooks the game, never draws the FPS counter, won't record, and won't take screenshots even though it's running and responsive when I interact with it. In the past restarting Bandicam has fixed it, however lately it doesn't always resolve the issue.

The only installed Anti-Virus/security software is Emsisoft Anti-Malware (EAM), and I have exclusions set up for Bandicam, Steam, and all of my games so that EAM won't open hooks to them or monitor them.

The issue has persisted through multiple driver updates, and different video cards. I would believe it started with the introduction of Bandicam 4.x, however I can't quite remember. I think it was sometime around December 2017 that I started noticing it, however I can't be entirely certain on the date since I allowed so much time to go past before reporting it.

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Re: Bandicam Often Fails to Hook Games (No FPS, Can't Record

Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:46 pm

Hello GT500,

On Bandicam 4.x, the recording mode is not selected when it runs.
Before recording, please make sure that you have selected Game Recording Mode after you run Bandicam.

If it doesn't seem to help, please get back to us.

Thank you.

GT500

Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:00 am

Bandicam is set for Game Recording Mode. It appears to remain set for Game Recording Mode after closing it and reopening it, as well as after a system restart. Manually attempting to select Game Recording Mode has no effect.

GT500

Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:49 am

I can't say for certain yet, however I may have found a resolution to this issue. This will take a bit of explanation, so please bear with me.

I have Emsisoft Anti-Malware (EAM) installed for Anti-Virus protection, and in the new 2018.6 version the settings panel has been redesigned. On Saturday I had the settings in EAM open, and I noticed Bandicam's FPS counter in EAM's settings panel. I decided to add EAM's processes (a2guard.exe, a2start.exe, and a2service.exe) to the "Blocked process list" in Bandicam's hooking settings and restart both Bandicam and EAM. Since doing this, Bandicam's FPS counter has appeared in every game I have launched without fail.

Since it's only been two days, it's too early to say for certain if the issue truly was resolved by doing that, however if this does truly resolve the issue then it might be prudent to add processes from Anti-Virus and other security software to Bandicam to make sure that it doesn't try to open hooks to them.

These days everyone seems to be trying to design flashy UI's, and many companies are turning to frameworks and API's that use DirectX and/or OpenGL to do that. Bandicam's "Blocked process list" doesn't allow enough entries for all of the software these days that needs to be excluded, so having a built-in list that at least covers important things like Anti-Virus/security software would be great (I had to remove entries from my "Blocked process list" to be able to add all of EAM's processes).

GT500

Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:10 am

It looks like I spoke too soon. Bandicam hasn't shown its FPS counter in a single game today.

Edit: And right after posting that I launched the new Red Faction: Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered edition, and there was the FPS counter in the top right of the screen... Funny, I had just had the game open a few minutes ago and there was no FPS counter... Not sure why it randomly started working...

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:32 pm

Hello GT500,

Thank you for the update.
We are not sure about your random situation.

Please, check the solutions on the linked page and try recording again.

https://www.bandicam.com/faqs/no_fps_fr ... nd_number/

Thank you.

GT500

Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:35 am

I've already seen the solutions on that page, and none of them have helped with this issue.

Is there any debugging information we could collect that might aid in determining what is going on?

Edit: I should probably note that I did update my NVIDIA driver last night to 398.36. I still had 391.01 due to issues with newer driver versions and Far Cry 5.

GT500

Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:55 am

I took the liberty of running Process Hacker while Red Faction Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered was running, and checking the loaded modules for rfg.exe. Bandicam was hooking the game process at the time, and as you can see in the screenshot at the bottom of my post bdcam.dll is in the list of loaded modules (as it was injected into rfg.exe when Bandicam opened its hook).

I'll try to remember to check the next time I notice Bandicam not drawing the FPS counter in-game, and see if the DLL was injected. Obviously that won't tell us why the injection is failing, so if there's some sort of debug log or something then that might be helpful.

GT500

Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:14 am

FYI: I have both Steam.exe and steamwebhelper.exe in the "Blocked process list" for hooking in Bandicam, however bdcam.dll is being injected into both processes. Are there any conditions under which the "Blocked process list" is ignored?

I have Bandicam 4.1.5.1421 installed (updated yesterday).

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:17 pm

Hello GT500,

Thank you for your additional report.

If you have checked the "Windows Store Apps (UWP)" option, please uncheck it and try it again.

If not, you need to find the processes that prevent Bandicam from hooking the games.

Thank you.

Return to “Bandicam - General Discussion”