nikkoaki

Lagarith lags on Ryzen 7 3700X

Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:40 am

I recently bought a ryzen 7 3700X instead of a ryzen 5 3600X thinking that the extra cores would help me game while recording at the same time.
I like lagarith, it's what i use on my laptop (a dual core 1.7GHz) and always thought it was efficient, at least in terms of resources.
Anyway, while i can game without loosing frames while recording with lagarith at the same time, the video itself loses lot's of frames. It averages around 40-50fps instead of 60.. It doesn't matter if it's on RGB or YUV12/etc. Multithreaded is enabled.
Task manager shows that not a single core reaches 100% and cpu utilization only increases around 5-10% when i hit record. The only way of record at a somewhat stable 60fps is to decrease the resolution to 1080p, anything above that lags a lot. Shouldn't the encoder use at least one core at 100% while recording?

Recording with nvenc or with bandicam's internal lossless codecs is fine. I can play my games at 4K and the videos are smooth and locked at 60fps.
SSD speed isn't a problem. I get sequential writes of more than 2GB/s. I also notice that the cpu turbos to its max when recording, so the problem isn't because of low frequencies either.
Anyone else here has this problem? Anyone with a monitor with a resolution higher than full hd or is able to game in a higher resolution with DSR to see if this is only affecting me? Am i missing something?

Thanks.

Clautor

Re: Lagarith lags on Ryzen 7 3700X

Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:25 pm

Lagarith is a horrible encoder in todays standards. The developer's change log shows it's very outdated (last updated in 2011). Maybe it can still encode 720p at 30/60fps or 1080p at 30fps at a decent rate but that's about as far as it'll go. It's very likely the poor performance with current hardware is bcs it hasn't been optimized to meet such levels. Maybe it WAS a decent codec back when 1080p was the peak resolution for most technology.

Nowadays, i recommend trying bandicam's internal hardware-based profiles, specifically 4:4:4 or 4:4:4 lossless. Although keep in mind that using lossless MIGHT lock ur in-game performance to 30fps during recording. That's what happened to me last time i used it. Oh and, lossless encoding naturally produces absurdly large files.

nikkoaki

Re: Lagarith lags on Ryzen 7 3700X

Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:08 am

Lagarith is a horrible encoder in todays standards. The developer's change log shows it's very outdated (last updated in 2011). Maybe it can still encode 720p at 30/60fps or 1080p at 30fps at a decent rate but that's about as far as it'll go. It's very likely the poor performance with current hardware is bcs it hasn't been optimized to meet such levels. Maybe it WAS a decent codec back when 1080p was the peak resolution for most technology.

Nowadays, i recommend trying bandicam's internal hardware-based profiles, specifically 4:4:4 or 4:4:4 lossless. Although keep in mind that using lossless MIGHT lock ur in-game performance to 30fps during recording. That's what happened to me last time i used it. Oh and, lossless encoding naturally produces absurdly large files.
I was running a very old version of bandicam. I just noticed that newer versions support lossless 4:4:4 NVENC encoder, i must give it a try. Thanks

Return to “Bandicam - General Discussion”