prizna

FPS drop while recording

Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:06 pm

I am experiencing a huge drop in FPS while Bandicam is recording, this only happens with DirectX/OpenGL recording and not with windowed recording. Two games that I am experience this problem in is 'Mark of the Ninja' and 'Super Meat Boy'.

I have done some testing and have found that this only happens while in full screen.

If playing full screen I get the drop in FPS no matter what Bandicam or in game settings I use, I have tried with the lowest in-game and Bandicam settings and I still get the drop in FPS.

If playing windowed I have no drop in FPS, I can have my in-game settings set to max and have Bandicam recording at full size with the best quality and experience no drop in FPS.

I have tested with other recording programs (FRAPS) and do not get this issue. I would like to continue using Bandicam for my recording program as I prefer it to all others available.

My system is running on Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit and I am using a Nvidia GTX 580 with the latest drivers installed (I have tried uninstalling and performing a clean install of my graphics drivers but it has made no difference) and the latest version of Bandicam (this issue was present in the previous version of Bandicam as well)

thanks,

EDIT: I have tested with an older version of Bandicam (1.8.1.240) and the issue is not present, after confirming that previous version of Bandicam do not have this issue I believe that this is a problem with Bandicam.

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Re: FPS drop while recording

Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:59 pm

Hi,

We received a similar issue with Mark of the Ninja, but the user solved the problem by cleaning/reinstalling the video driver. Please see viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1686
If playing full screen I get the drop in FPS no matter what Bandicam or in game settings I use
What is the resolution of the video you recorded through Bandicam?
If you play the game in full screen, the recorded video size will be larger than 1080p.
If the video resolution is larger than 1080p, the video can be lagging because Bandicam has to compress the bigger video file.
If you send the short video clip to bandicam@bandisoft.com, we will check the video and reply to your email.
I am using a Nvidia GTX 580 with the latest drivers installed
Please try Nvidia cuda video codec and PCM audio codec of Bandicam.
I have tested with an older version of Bandicam (1.8.1.240) and the issue is not present, after confirming that previous version of Bandicam do not have this issue I believe that this is a problem with Bandicam.
We've tried Mark of the Ninja with the latest version of Bandicam, but we couldn't find the problem.
If we can't reproduce the problem, we can't fix the bug.

prizna

Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:37 pm

Hi, thanks for the reply,
We received a similar issue with Mark of the Ninja, but the user solved the problem by cleaning/reinstalling the video driver. Please see viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1686
I have tried performing a clean install of my Nvidia drivers but it has made no difference.
What is the resolution of the video you recorded through Bandicam?
If you play the game in full screen, the recorded video size will be larger than 1080p.
If the video resolution is larger than 1080p, the video can be lagging because Bandicam has to compress the bigger video file.
The resolution of the video I am recording is 1920x1080
Please try Nvidia cuda video codec and PCM audio codec of Bandicam.
I have tried the new Nvidia CUDA codec and PCM audio codec but I still have this problem.
We've tried Mark of the Ninja with the latest version of Bandicam, but we couldn't find the problem.
If we can't reproduce the problem, we can't fix the bug.
I understand this, but were you able to test Mark of the Ninja or Super Meat Boy with a Nvidia gtx 580, as I mentioned before this does not occur with older versions of Bandicam or in other recording programs (FRAPS) which leads me to believe that this is a Bandicam issue.

prizna

Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:54 pm

I have noticed 2 things:

1: My graphics card control panel forces vsync, if I turn this off, 'Mark of the Ninja' will run perfectly while recording.

2: If I set the FPS limit in Bandicam to 60, 'Mark of the Ninja' will run perfectly while recording.

Now the thing that is strange about point 2 is, when the FPS limit is off and I'm experiencing this lag the Bandicam overlay tells me I am getting 60 FPS, which is obviously wrong, but for some reason, telling Bandicam to limit the FPS to 60 fixes this issue.

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:43 pm

We could reproduce the problem you mentioned.
(The FPS dropped from 60 to 30 while recording.)

The game doesn't not support VSYNC very well.
You have to disable the VSYNC function to fix this problem.

(Fraps also has the same problem.)

prizna

Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:46 pm

Were you able to reproduce that setting the FPS limit to 60 fixes the problem even if vsync is on? I do not receive this issue in FRAPS, and I only get the FPS drop while recording, it is perfectly fine if I have Bandicam open and not recording.

As mentioned before this issue is not present in older versions of Bandicam, 1.8.1.240 for example, because of the fact that this issue is not present in older versions of Bandicam, I still believe that this is a Bandicam issue, if this was an issue with the games I am trying to record, I would be having the issue no matter what version of Bandicam I use.

EDIT: One more thing that I have noticed is, so far I have only noticed this issue with DirectX 9 games.

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:22 pm

I do not receive this issue in FRAPS,
this issue is not present in older versions of Bandicam, 1.8.1.240
This issue is related with the VSYNC.
The game doesn't support VSYNC very well.
So, sometimes or some computers will or will not have the problem.

When we tested the game, some times, the FPS dropped from 60 to 30 while recording with Bandicam/Fraps.

The best solution for this issue is that you should turn off the VSYNC.

We will also try to find another solution to fix/reduce this problem.

BabyCharms

Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:08 am

I also suffers a lot from Bandicam fps drop. When playing CSGO, without Bandicam it runs about 200 fps, when opening, drops to below 100fps. You must understand if you want to have a good performance when play CSGO the average frame rate must be over 100! As for this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq5017Ugc1M they guys post, i tried, adjusting the setting and paramter right? Then a disgusting output quality comes out. I changed another named fras which is even more disgusting when facing fps drop. And as for Camtasia, because some friends recommended me to use it. It does better at fps. However, the output quality really sucks, every time I must manually convert the CAMPROJ file to MP4 in order to upload my gameplay video. It is a totally complex job.
So, I finally know there is not even one screen capture program that will not screw up frame rate.

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:57 pm

Hello BabyCharms,

Regarding the fps dropping issue, please refer to the linked page.

Lag/Lagging: Computer lag, my computer runs slowly
https://www.bandicam.com/faqs/how_to_re ... recording/

Thank you.

Return to “Bandicam - General Discussion”