UKFX

Considering purchasing Bandicam

Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:51 pm

I'm currently considering buying Bandicam, but I'm also on the fence about another game recorder - which I will not mention here, out of respect to Bandisoft.

Now the issue I'm seeing with Bandicam, is that although the codec support is broader, an the file sizes are smaller (which is awesome), the GUI is ugly as hell and it has tutorials written all over it, whereby if you click them, it opens a web page. This is not very professional looking and is not exactly an ideal thing to have posted all over a product. I'd also like to highlight that for folks less knowledgable about the names of codecs, I'd recommend you put lossless next to some of the uncompressed formats so as not surprise people by eradicating their hard disk space.

Another thing with Bandicam which I'm not fond of, is the lack of Multi-Channel audio support. I'm currently using a Stereo headset over 6 channels via a Xonar DG, an it gives me the surround I need (without using that awful Dolby Surround feature) but Bandicam obviously doesn't let me record multiple channels. This isn't a huge deal breaker considering Youtube doesn't support multi-channel audio anyway, an even though I don't record often, I don't want to find myself having to purchase ANOTHER piece of recording software 3 years down the line, which is what I'm doing now because Fraps seems to have died, doesn't support Windows 8.1 desktop recording (due to a lack of dwm.exe) an file sizes are still inexcusably huge.

So, basically, will the User Interface for Bandicam ever improve, or will we still see this Windows 98 looking window with advertisement-style links to tutorials all over it?

Peace.

Lemonater47

Re: Considering purchasing Bandicam

Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:46 pm

The UI is easy to use and that's all that matters. Who cares what it looks like. Its a waste of developer time and money when they could be working on making new features and improving the recorder in more useful ways.

In terms of recording more than two audio channels they said they will look into it. More and more people are requesting this. So we might get that in the future. They update bandicam very so often and their updates seem to be getting more and more frequent.

Fraps has pretty much died. Though the fanbois keep it alive. Dxtory its bandicam's real competitor nowadays. Though for YouTube bandicam is better hands down. Though dxtory can work with twitch. Bandicam cannot, for now.

When I first saw bandicam's UI I didn't like it much either I thought it was lazy. Especially when tw website looks good an the slogan said "most advanced screen recorder". But then I got it and it was brilliant. And you get used to the UI its nice and simple.

And for better ease of use opening tutorials up in a website is better in my opinion.

UKFX

Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:15 pm

I agree, the UI is easy to use and whilst the simple UI is not a big dealio, having ad-like tutorials in boxes on the UI is a horrid idea. Why not just include these things in a drop down menu with a help section?

I doubt for a team as skilled as these guys, putting a simple, slightly prettier interface is not a big deal. I'm not really bothered about Streaming. UI hardly matters but I don't like having it like it is when the recording is almost damn near perfect anyway, so it's hardly wasting time.

Unless Mirillis get AMD App accerlation I'll be getting Bandicam, but I'm still on the fence.

UKFX

Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:56 am

I've decided I'm going to pick Bandicam over the other software, even if the other software does have a lot more useful features (though less codecs).

If I could suggest something for the future. I'd appreciate it if the HUD for the Part-Screen recording was a bit bigger, or at least conformed/scaled to 120dpi (125% zoom on windows) for large resolutions. The text for the part-screen recording window (the black window with the transparent box) is pretty small.

One last thing... will AAC audio be supported in future?

:)

Look forward to future updates. Will purchase Bandicam in the next few days.

Merry Xmas everyone.

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:26 pm

Hello!

1. We will upgrade the UI in 2014.

2. And then, we will support more audio channels.

3. We may not support AAC audio codec in 2014, but anyway, we will support AAC audio in the future.

Thank you for choosing Bandicam!

mikk

Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:41 pm

I can't complain about the Bandicam GUI. Fraps is slowly dying indeed but it's still number one tool for all benchmarking purposes. No other tool I'm aware of is close to it. For screenshots and videos I use Bandicam and for overlay infos directly ingame (GPU+CPU usage, VRAM usage) playclaw.

UKFX

Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:56 pm

I know the GUI is a minor... in fact out of the two very popular software recorders I tested, I picked Bandicam 9 times out of 10. In fact, the other software is already uninstalled from my computer. I also didn't like how the other company said version 1 gets free updates but when V2 and V3 come out you must buy another license. That to me is a tad unfair as it could eventually lead to 2-3 payments.

In any case. AAC or not (not a big deal to me to be honest, but AAC at lower bit-rates (i.e. 128) is a very good quality codec that obviously takes up less space - it'd go hand in hand with the small video sizes even if it only saves a few MB, it's useful. :)

Brilliant software and a great development team. Very pleased. I'll be sure to spread the word and recommend this product. I will purchase the software tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest.

Thanks Bandisoft :)

UKFX

Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:49 am

Just to let you folks know, I bought Bandicam, but I've got some issues.

DX9 recording performance is iffy, especially on games like Killing Floor. With the setting at 1280x720 recording, x264 AMD App, 80quality, (same I use for BF4 on DX11) I get horrible stuttering in Killing Floor.

The FPS is not capped in settings.

Also, if I may suggest in the future, could you please give us an option so minimising Bandicam doesn't make it go to the system tray. I have it pinned in Windows 8, so minimising it renders the pinned app useless.

Also, I'd appreciate a clearer, larger font / UI for the "record desktop area" window. It is quite small and unclear at 1080p.

Beyond that, I am rather happy with the software.

:)

(For clarification, I have no problem working Bandicam and it is not the settings, or my video drivers - also, my specs are: Core i5-2500K @ 4Ghz, 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3, HIS 7870 IceQ X OC and Seagate Barracuda 7,200rpm 6Gbps HDD).

plasticsaint

Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:53 pm

If you're recording to the same HDD your games/os are installed on, you're probably going to experience some issues.

UKFX

Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:52 am

This has nothing to do with where I'm recording videos to.

Example:

7870 OC at 1080p, I record at 720p at 30FPS using AMD App / x264 whilst playing BF4 at All High, HBAO on, 2xMSAA and High Post AA. No issue with recording.

Now go back to Killing Floor. A very old game on DX9 and it makes the game stutter. There is no reason for it. The game isn't reading anything or caching anything to disk whilst I'm playing the game because once the files have been loaded they sit in memory.

It must be some kind of issue.

Oh, if you folks at Bandisoft could make the Record Section of Screen HUD a bit bigger for higher resolutions and add a option for 48fps Capture in x264, that'd really be appreciated.

Return to “Bandicam - General Discussion”