Dfactor

Re: Dropped frames

Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:19 pm

I don't think it's a HDD activity issue. As (as an example) there are no problems when capturing with FRAPS (which outputs gigantic files).

GameTipsAndMore Blog

Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:28 am

I have recently started having this problem as well... I always appreciated how Bandicam doesn't affect gameplay performance much while recording, but it is not the game performance or recording performance that is the problem for me either - it is the resultant output, the recorded file that seems to have the dropped frames.

It doesn't matter what codec I choose (MPEG-1, H.264/CUDA, MJPEG, x264 (External), Lagarith (External)) they all result in a recorded file that is choppy. It doesn't matter what player I choose (VLC, Windows Media Player, Media Player Classic, Nero Kwik Media) they all play back the recorded file and the recording seems 'choppy'. I tried to adjust the Priority of Bandicam and that didn't change anything. It looks fine though, good quality in the recording, it just 'skips' a bit when viewing the file. I thought it might be the 'Skip recording while frame is not updated' setting, but disabling this didn't make a difference either.

I tried lowering the in-game resolution and detail/graphic settings, lowering the resolution being recorded at (in Bandicam) and lowering the Quality setting in Bandicam. These all resulted in higher frames per second while playing the game and while recording, but still resulted in a video file that was 'choppy' when viewed. I tried re-installing Bandicam (latest download, thanks for the update to the program 8-) ), rebooting, etc. and although the game runs smoothly and recording with Bandicam goes smoothly, the output/recorded file seems 'choppy' when played back. I didn't have this problem a while ago, so I'm not sure what could be causing it.

Just for comparison (sorry to mention competitors), I tested the same game and codec with Dxtory (using the x264 codec in both Bandicam and Dxtory with the same exact settings) and Dxtory did not produce this issue either, the recorded file was smooth when playing back/viewing the file. I thought perhaps it could be how Dxtory can be set to use more Processing Threads (I usually have it set to 6), so I reduced this setting to 1 in Dxtory and it still produced a much smoother output video than Bandicam with the same codec. I also tested the same game with FRAPS (which is much more demanding on the system in terms of creating the larger recorded file) and the output video was smooth upon playback.

I'm not sure what I can suggest to help Bandicam reproduce/find out what the issue might be, hopefully it can be found out

Edit:
I don't know if it is related, but I am also now having the problem where, on startup of Bandicam, sometimes it locks up the entire Windows interface and if I use CTRL+ALT+DEL I cannot even run the Task Manager to End the Process, I am forced to LogOff or Reset the system. I Uninstalled all Internet Explorer applications and functions (instructions from another thread) and it did not solve the issue of Bandicam "Not Responding"... Interesting problems!''

Edit 2:
I did some more testing with Bandicam, because I noticed when looking through Dxtory (trying to figure out why it can create a video that was not 'choppy') that there was a setting that said "Multi GPU fix" in Dxtory's configuration, I assumed for when using SLI. I have been using SLI since a bit before December, but I can't remember when Bandicam started giving me troubles...
I did some recordings with SLI disabled (via the video card driver control panel) and lo'and'behold, the recorded video from Bandicam wasn't 'choppy'! Freeman and Dfactor, if you are using SLI, try recording with it disabled (and you can now even choose to put the recording onto the second GPU if using H.264/CUDA/etc in Bandicam) and see if that helps your video recording issue like it did in this case.
I haven't tested it on many games yet, but will continue testing and see if it may be related to SLI mode or not. I'm not sure if this information helps people running on one GPU (and it doesn't solve the 'not responding' on startup issue with Bandicam), but I wanted to put it here in case it helps anyone.

Lemonater47

Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:26 pm

Lol I always got dropped frames on dxtory regardless of the settings. But fraps and bandicam is fine for me. But fraps sucks in comparison.

I wonder if setting the priority to high will solve or at least reduce this issue. I think there's a way of doing it in bandicam as well but I don't know. But if you open the task manager, click on the processes tab then scroll down and right click on bandicam you will see an option called "change priority" click on that and set it to high from normal. This was a fix for fraps having the same issue. You with need to download something called prio (google "Prio, process priority saver"). If you don't have this bandicam will reset itself to normal when you quit it.

Dfactor

Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:42 am

Freeman and Dfactor, if you are using SLI, try recording with it disabled (and you can now even choose to put the recording onto the second GPU if using H.264/CUDA/etc in Bandicam) and see if that helps your video recording issue like it did in this case.
No, I'm not using SLI.
I'm forcing some AA on the game, but I don't think that's the cause. Had some other silly ideas as it might be VSync, but it doesn't matter. And it's still there, even in 1.9.3 version.
Coincidence or not. I've only experienced choppy raws from games that use only 1 thread.

Flaim

Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:02 am

What you could do is use your phone to film the monitor,[...]
not gonna work. your phone needs to record at least double the fps as your monitor shows you (because math) , which would be at least 120fps and there is no phone capable of that.

GameTipsAndMore Blog

Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:30 am

What you could do is use your phone to film the monitor,[...]
not gonna work. your phone needs to record at least double the fps as your monitor shows you (because math) , which would be at least 120fps and there is no phone capable of that.
If I may pop in on your reply a moment, recording the monitor is quite possible without 120fps recording (I have done it in the past as low as 20fps with a camera), with no filcker...
I believe the Nyquist Rate is referring to pulse carrier forms (as in Random Access Memory) and is not directly applicable to the visual perception modus

Edit:
I'm sorry, I did not want to start an argument or anything - I am just stating it is possible to record the monitor with a camera (random example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4rnjde6TTg )

GameTipsAndMore Blog

Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:24 pm

Just wanted to pop in again and add an update that I have re-installed Windows on my system and although that solved the problem of Bandicam going into "Not Responding" mode, it did not solve this issue of Bandicam producing "choppy" video output recordings... The resultant video still seems 'laggy' or 'choppy' upon playback, no matter what codec is recorded with, or what player is used to play back the video (Media Player, Media Player Classic, VLC, Nero KwikMedia/HomePlayer, etc)
I have rolled back to version 1.8.9 (picked randomly from past downloads on my computer) and that version does not have this problem and works well, despite not having some more recent features (such as CUDA recording, etc)

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:53 pm

Hi GameTipsAndMore,

What is your recording target?
Could you send the video clip to bandicam@bandisoft.com?

GameTipsAndMore Blog

Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:07 pm

Hi GameTipsAndMore,

What is your recording target?
Could you send the video clip to bandicam@bandisoft.com?
Hi Bandi,
I'm sorry I did not reply for a while...
My recording target is a 2TB hard drive, dedicated to only recording game files, it has no operating system files on it, no games, etc.
I would be happy to send a clip of examples to you, just let me try the latest version of Bandicam that I see just came out a few days ago :geek:

Edit 1:
I just tried some tests with the older version versus the newer (1.9.4.505) version and the perceived 'choppy' output is still there in the newest version..(it is not there in the older version). I am putting together a short clip to show the differences in a game and am uploading the sample now...

Edit 2:
I have put together a short example of the observable differences between the two versions [without audio]. I attempted to repeat the motions of the mouse and did not change anything within the game at all, I only minimized the game and uninstalled/reinstalled the other version of Bandicam between recordings. I show the earlier version of Bandicam example again to accentuate the difference between the two.
I will send this to your email link from above, just in case it will not play for you
(The link provided is not listed as public, it will only be listed here):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akUpUWGQlS4

Hope that helps, Bandi - let me know if you want any more examples or testing done - good luck!

Dfactor

Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:31 pm

Hm, that's even worse than the issue I had.
The choppiness was over time and could appear for few minutes and then disappear. Not that I could make it go choppy by my own will. :/

Return to “Bandicam - General Discussion”