GamingbrainHd

h.264 doesnt work very well

Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:08 am

sorry for my bad english.
the new h.264 codec don't work very well beacuse the file format. i don't think that .avi is good for h.264, the codec killing my fps, has a huge file size(1Giga per 30 seconds),and if i don't make the fourcc to x264 code and the keyframe interval to 1 the video won't work in premire pro

Dfactor

Re: h.264 doesnt work very well

Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:16 am

Which h.264 you're talking about?
There are several different ones.

Software encoding (CPU-Only):
x264vfw

Hardware encoding (GPU and/or CPU):
NVENC (Nvidia)
CUDA (Nvidia)
QuickSync (Intel)
APP (AMD)

There are also several threads and FAQs about the best formats/settings for selected editing software.
.avi is just a container, it's not related to the codec. It's a popular misconception.

GameTipsAndMore Blog

Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:10 am

sorry for my bad english.
the new h.264 codec don't work very well beacuse the file format. i don't think that .avi is good for h.264, the codec killing my fps, has a huge file size(1Giga per 30 seconds),and if i don't make the fourcc to x264 code and the keyframe interval to 1 the video won't work in premire pro
AVI is just a container, a holder of the video data, it shouldn't really matter if it is MP4 or AVI or anything else really, other than programs will automatically attempt to recognize it differently when importing, but the video function should be the same.
Edit: I see the knowledgeable Dfactor has already beat me to saying this ;)

It's good that you changed the FOURCC code, to assist programs in recognizing the codec, and the Keyframe interval of 1 is a setting more for Vegas, Premiere, Lightworks and similar NLE video editing applications - but it is not needed if you aren't using those programs. Since you are using Premiere, then yes that program requires the FOURCC codec setting to be changed, and requires the Keyframe Interval set to 1 (which means each frame is independent of the others and has all data within). Unfortunately, if you use the Keyframe as 1, then your video size will be much larger. The MPEG codec was designed to keep track of only the changes in-between frames and save those to the images/frames, so much of the compression capability is lost. The only remedy for not requiring the Keyframe Interval to be 1, is to utilize a different video editing application...

I did a lot of testing in the past with MPEG-4 and h.264/AVC, finding out which settings affected performance/quality and compatibility (I was responsible for finding out that the Keyframe Interval must be "1" for those applications above, and submitted this information to Bandisoft for Bandicam). Along the way, I wrote a couple of articles at my blog talking about the various settings of h.264 (using the x264 interfaces) and why you might want to turn some down or off. For instance, at the DEFAULT settings, recording with H.264/AVC will not work very well, as you have found. Some things must be changed, as the codec is initially set for slow, analytical processing of compressing a video that is not "Live" (one that is not being recorded in Real-Time).

As an example of the result that you can get (high quality with good speed (low lag) while recording), I created this video, uploaded to YouTube here:

(If you watch it at YouTube directly, be sure to change the Quality/Resolution to 1440p)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRuUQwy5O-o

An article showing the settings I found that could be set to maintain Quality (it has the above video example on YouTube) can be found here: http://gametipsandmore.blogspot.ca/2013 ... ng-2k.html . There are also some screenshots of the settings that I found worked better for speed/performance, while keeping Quality.
A longer article, talking about some h.264 settings in general, focused more towards maintaining Speed while recording (low latency/lag/etc) can be found here: http://gametipsandmore.blogspot.ca/2013 ... using.html , but be aware that it is a long article, but it does cover a lot of aspects of the h.264/AVC settings and should help you in tweaking/changing your h.264/AVC codec settings so that you can get more Quality at a smaller filesize, while keeping the Performance high (low lag/choppy-ness).
I am working on another article about recording with H.264/AVC, showing some new settings I have been recording with lately - I will try to remember to come back here and share that with you too. :)

Hopefully, these articles will help you adjust your settings, so that you can get more Quality and Performance out of your recordings with Bandicam and h.264!

GamingbrainHd

Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:47 pm

x264vfw

NVENC (Nvidia)
CUDA (Nvidia)
QuickSync (Intel)
APP (AMD)

There are also several threads and FAQs about the best formats/settings for selected editing software.
.avi is just a container, it's not related to the codec. It's a popular misconception.
but if i wan't to edit h.264 codec in premire pro i cant.

GameTipsAndMore Blog

Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:26 pm

x264vfw

NVENC (Nvidia)
CUDA (Nvidia)
QuickSync (Intel)
APP (AMD)

but if i wan't to edit h.264 codec in premire pro i cant.
H.264/AVC in the AVI container is importable into Premiere and fully Editable... You may want to adjust the Keyframe Interval (size of the GOP (Group Of Pictures) which is the amount of frames in-between the Information Frames or Keyframes - I suggest a GOP of "1" for Premiere/Vegas/etc) so you don't get "trails" or "corruption" problems in your Preview/Render), but other than that, you shouldn't even have to rename it to .MP4 (but you can try that too, if you need to).

Have you installed the h.264 codecs to decompress the video? You may need to install both the 32-bit and the 64-bit versions of the codec.

There really should be no problem at all with importing h.264 into Premiere...

Edit:
If you are having tons of trouble getting Premiere to open AVC in AVI, then you can also try Transcoding the video(s) into another format, or Transcode them losslessly (no re-compression) essentially "re-wrapping" them into the MP4 container. You can do this with almost any [other] video editing application, such as Avidemux, VirtualDub, even the built-in Windows Movie Maker.
Simply open the AVI and then in AviDemux/VirtualDub choose "Copy" for your video and audio sources (called "Direct Stream Copy" in Vdub) so that the program does not try to re-compress it, then save the file and it will be done up with a bow in a new wrapper, hopefully compatible with Premiere.
You can also use something like Handbrake or Windows Movie Maker, by opening the file and then saving it with very high settings (it may make the file larger), which should then come out compatible with Premiere.
Still, these actions shouldn't be needed - but I share them with you just in case you have to :)

Return to “Bandicam - General Discussion”