GameTipsAndMore Blog

Re: H.264 (Nvidia Cuda) + Sony Vegas

Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:34 pm

We have no idea how you can edit the recorded video with Sony Vegas...
You said previously that you needed to add a keyframe in order for it to work with Sony Vegas is this no longer the case? As I was really hoping to be able to use Bandicam's Nvidia Cuda 264 codec with vegas soon :(
They meant that they didn't understand how GameTipsAndMore was able to edit.

I'm also wondering what's so different with you, GameTips, because my system is pretty much the same. All latest Windows 7 updates, with the 320.49 driver. Yet I can't edit the video without converting first.
That's what is so interesting/confusing...

Have you tried installing both versions of the x264 codec and restarted? (I know this is probably already done, just reminding for those who may not have tried it yet)
You could also try uninstalling all x264 codecs and uninstalling Vegas and reinstalling Vegas before reinstalling the codecs. This forces Vegas' codecs to be 'last' in Windows and then the x264 codecs to be available in Vegas. So you would have in order of importance:
x264 codec
Vegas codecs/filters
Windows Codecs/filters
(In theory..)

I'm sorry that I am not a programmer, so I can't investigate how the applications are talking to each other - all I can do is test various setups and see what works and what doesn't and hand that in to Bandicam and others - maybe something will turn up.
I will do some more testing over the next few days and see if I can find anything else out.
I'm happy that it's not the other way around and I'm not the only one that it doesn't work for :lol: but I do want to try to help figure it out, if I can.

Decicus

Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:44 pm

I'm planning to completely format my hard drive (not because of this, but it's convenient) and test with the official drivers and such.

And I haven't really tested a recording after the first test I ever did (which was before I created this thread).

GameTipsAndMore Blog

Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:11 am

I'm planning to completely format my hard drive (not because of this, but it's convenient) and test with the official drivers and such.

And I haven't really tested a recording after the first test I ever did (which was before I created this thread).
Sure, go for it. At the moment, I don't have time to do a full Redo of Windows, but here are some other things I had installed/uninstalled over time (doing some tests and such) that have to do with the H.264 codec, maybe one of them installed something and left it there, that Vegas is using as a filter to import it:

x264vfw codec (32 bit and 64bit, installed both the Official and Unofficial interfaces, Unofficial currently installed), Nero Suite 11 (Nero Video, Nero Kwikmedia Player, Nero Codecs), Vegas Movie Studio HD 11 Platinum, Premiere Pro (Trial, Uninstalled), WinFF, Xvid4PSP, Xmedia Recode, Virtualdub, Avidemux, VLC MEdia Player, Media Player Classic, Smartpixel, Dxtory, Mirillis Action, Playclaw, MSI Afterburner, Bandicam (1.9.0.397), AMD/ATi Drivers (OpenCL), NVIDIA Drivers (CUDA, 320.49 installed), GeForce Experience (full install)

I am just mentioning these, in case you want to test installing any of them that you may find useful, and see if it starts working... I may just do the same sometime soon. Good luck with it.

Decicus

Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:58 am

I'm planning to do a clean run, with only Sony Vegas Pro 12 + Bandicam with the Nvidia CUDA codec and see if it works.

Decicus

Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:52 am

I tried, with the Nvidia Cuda codec, using PCM. I don't have any external codecs (that I know of) installed, but I can't seem to actually be able to open it. You must be magic.

Yes, I'm using 320.49 driver.
Tried to open in Sony Vegas Pro 12 with no luck.
So I guess I'll just wait for the Bandicam update.

GameTipsAndMore Blog

Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:36 pm

I tried, with the Nvidia Cuda codec, using PCM. I don't have any external codecs (that I know of) installed, but I can't seem to actually be able to open it. You must be magic.

Yes, I'm using 320.49 driver.
Tried to open in Sony Vegas Pro 12 with no luck.
So I guess I'll just wait for the Bandicam update.
Sorry it was no joy :cry: I should try testing if I have any other secret powers that I don't know about..

The only other thing I can think of at the moment, is I remember struggling a lot with Vegas to open 'any' AVIs or non-native codecs. I had to wade through tons of forums of people saying, "that's how Vegas is, change the format to a different one then", while I knew that it was not just 'how Vegas is', there must be codecs or filters installed to allow Vegas to access them. So, I tried many different things and one day everything just clicked. I was not good at testing back then, I did not keep track of what changes I was making, in order to track what worked and what did not, but a couple of the things I tried were Codec Packs and All-Purpose Filters.

Most people disregard codec packs, but they work very well. Yes you'll get extra codecs and ones you may not need (even if you try to select which ones to install) but if everything works fine and how you want it to work, what's the problem? The other thing is filters, like FFDSHOW. These are more like 'translators' I tell people, that work on-the-fly to stream one video type through another, so that applications can open your video files. These NVIDIA CUDA clips created by Bandicam are identified as "x264vfw" by Vegas, so that can mean FFdshow's Video For Windows filter or the x264vfw codec itself. Do you have the x264vfw (H264/AVC) codecs installed? That is the format the CUDA recordings are.

I would suggest trying those codecs first, then if it still doesn't work and if you wish to, try the FFdshow filters and under the VFW configuration, tell it to translate every single one with FFdshow (libavcodec). Then, Vegas should use those filters as a translator to open any formats (especially h264/AVC).

I have access to another system that I may 'Redo' with a format and Reinstall of Windows soon, so I will try a clean start as well, testing as I add programs and codecs, to see which one got it to magically work; but for now try those two things, if you wish, to see if that's what is opening the video files. Bandicam - I would think - would be the same on all systems, so other than the fact I didn't uninstall previous versions of Bandicam as I upgraded it (somehow keeping/creating some ability to create the files differently), those two things above are the only thing I can think of at the moment that is creating all the magic.

Good luck with it!

Edit:
If it helps, there have been a number of people helped by this video of mine here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrgflGSu59A
(the Bandicam Forum post for it is here viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1687 )
It shows how to change the format of x264 recording so that it can be opened in Vegas and Premiere. Although that is dealing specifically with recording with the x264vfw codec (Bandicam calls it as an External Codec), another problem people have run into (you can read it in the Comments section of the Youtube video) is opening and editing the files in Vegas properly.
One person for instance, had to adjust the keyframes created by x264; but another person, more importantly, had to install both the 32-bit and 64-bit version of the x264vfw codec to import it into Vegas fully (they also uninstalled any codec packs they had). This is an example of installing both versions of the codec (as I briefly stated just above) that may also work for you. Good luck!

Decicus

Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:41 pm

I actually had both x264vfw codecs earlier, that's what's weird. I have no clue what's causing it, but some things just doesn't seem to make any sense to me.

And yes, it's true that some AVIs just won't work with Sony Vegas. I've been struggling with that sometimes as well.

GameTipsAndMore Blog

Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:54 pm

I actually had both x264vfw codecs earlier, that's what's weird. I have no clue what's causing it, but some things just doesn't seem to make any sense to me.

And yes, it's true that some AVIs just won't work with Sony Vegas. I've been struggling with that sometimes as well.
Ah I see, I'm sorry to repeat it then.

Once I have a chance I will 'Redo' this other system and see what makes it work, if anything. Good luck if you continue in your search.

Decicus

Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:23 am

This is really odd. I installed both the x264vfw codecs, and suddenly I could import the video files.
I'm 100% sure I had them before, because I attempted to record with it. So a temporary fix might be to install those two codecs, I guess.

Thanks for the tip, GameTips, I didn't think it would work (because it should've before, huh).

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:04 pm

Hi GameTipsAndMore and LazehPanda!

We've found a solution because of your informative information.
That was a problem with Sony Vegas and h264 codec.

We have some solutions for this issue.

1. Download/install x264 codec and add the .reg file to the registry.
- x264 codec: http://sourceforge.net/projects/x264vfw/files/ (Install both x264vfw and x264vfw64)
- h264_x64.reg (64bit) and h264_x86.reg (32bit):
http://www.bandicam.com/faqs/how_to_edi ... 64.reg.zip

2. Download/install x264 codec and add the key and value to the registry.
- x264 codec: http://sourceforge.net/projects/x264vfw/files/ (Install both x264vfw and x264vfw64)
- Add the key and value to the registry.
- 32 bit OS: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32]
- 64 bit OS: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32]

3. The next version of Bandicam (1.9.1) will allow you to choose x264 codec and keyframe, so you will not have the editing problem with Sony Vegas and h264 codec.

Return to “Bandicam - General Discussion”