GameTipsAndMore Blog

Stuttering Every 2 Seconds ?

Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:08 am

I have run into an odd problem lately, where Bandicam seems to 'freeze' for a couple of frames, about every 2 seconds or so.

It does not seem to matter what codec I use (I thought perhaps it was related to AMDAPP, but it occurs even with Xvid or MJPEG with PCM audio).
It also occurs no matter what framerate I utilize (60fps or 30fps recording) or what GOP size I set.
I set up my system to Dual-Boot with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 and it occurs in both Operating Systems. I tried un-installing and re-installing Bandicam and a couple of older versions, as well.

I would think it was something else in my system (something that perhaps happened behind-the-scenes in a Windows Update or something) but I tried other Recording Software (Open Broadcast Software, the Dxtory Trial, etc.) and they do not have the 'short stutter every two seconds' issue. So, I am sorry to bother you with it here... Odd.

If anyone else has run into this and has ideas, I am open to those, as well. Thanks!

[I would be happy to send an example video clip or two, if you would like]

Edit:
After doing some testing, it does not seem to occur in a game running Fullscreen Mode, with Vertical Sync on and recording in Game Recording Mode.
The stutter only seems to occur with a game running in Windowed Mode (fullscreen windowed or small windowed mode) and recording in Screen Recording Mode ('rectangle on the screen' mode).

As there does not seem to be many people experiencing this, perhaps it is something on my system. I am going to continue Troubleshooting and see what I can find out.
Last edited by GameTipsAndMore Blog on Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Re: Stuttering Every 2 Seconds ?

Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:49 pm

Hi GameTipsAndMore Blog,
I tried un-installing and re-installing Bandicam and a couple of older versions, as well.
Do you have the stuttering issue with Bandicam 2.3.1?
Do you have the issue when you chose the "Use VFR" option (instead of "Prefer CFR")?

GameTipsAndMore Blog

Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:00 pm

Hi GameTipsAndMore Blog,
I tried un-installing and re-installing Bandicam and a couple of older versions, as well.
Do you have the stuttering issue with Bandicam 2.3.1?
Do you have the stuttering issue when you chose the "Use VFR" option (instead of "Prefer CFR")?
Thanks for your reply,

After further testing, the 'stutter every couple seconds' seems to only occur in Screen Recording Mode (rectangle on the screen), the stutter does not occur in Game Recording Mode (DirectX fullscreen mode).
Stutter occurs in Bandicam 2.3.1 (tested as far back as 1.9.4), but only in Screen Recording Mode.
Stutter occurs in either VFR or CFR modes.
I do not use the Microphone (it is Disabled and nothing is plugged in).

Hopefully this may be helpful :)
Last edited by GameTipsAndMore Blog on Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:04 pm

We have no idea at the moment.

1. Do you have the issue when you disable your microphone?

2. If you have the problem with the Screen Recording Mode, uncheck the "Use enhanced capture method (faster, Windows 8 or above)" option, and try it again.

We will also try to reproduce the problem in Windows 10.

Thank you for your information.

GameTipsAndMore Blog

Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:36 pm

We have no idea at the moment.

1. Do you have the issue when you disable your microphone?

2. If you have the problem with the Screen Recording Mode, uncheck the "Use enhanced capture method (faster, Windows 8 or above)" option, and try it again.

We will also try to reproduce the problem in Windows 10.

Thank you for your information.
I reinstalled Bandicam 2.3.3 for all the following tests:

1. My microphone was Disabled, the problem occurred.

2. Unchecking "Use enhanced capture method" = OK, NO STUTTER :D

During this testing, I noticed that it occurs with 60fps but is hardly noticeable at all at 30fps.
The problem does not occur with the "Use enhanced capture method" un-checked (#2)!
(Although, Performance seems to be less, when continuing to use the Screen Recording mode, of course)
Thank you very much for your assistance.

Some possibly helpful basic system data:
Windows 10 (Dual-boot with 8.1)
AMD FX-8350 CPU
AMD R9 280 GPU (Catalyst 15.7.1 non-beta)
MSI 970 "GAMING" Mainboard
Patriot "GAMER" RAM, 16GB

You are most welcome. Please let me know if I can supply any additional information or tests.

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:30 pm

We could reproduce the problem with a AMD HD 7850 graphics card.
- We couldn't reproduce the problem with other AMD graphics cards.
- We couldn't reproduce the problem with NVIDIA graphics cards.

We will try to minimize the stuttering issue.

Thank you for your informative post.

Return to “Bandicam - General Discussion”