DragonulRed

Bandicam and MSI Afterburner

Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:45 pm

Hi,I wanted today to record a game with Bandicam and MSI Afterburner,I use MSI Afterburner for overlay to see FPS,GPU,CPU temperature,etc and I can't record this with Bandicam in Game Mode,but if I make the game in window and use screen mode I can see the details,but in game mode it's shows nothing...

GameTipsAndMore Blog

Re: Bandicam and MSI Afterburner

Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:34 pm

Hi,I wanted today to record a game with Bandicam and MSI Afterburner,I use MSI Afterburner for overlay to see FPS,GPU,CPU temperature,etc and I can't record this with Bandicam in Game Mode,but if I make the game in window and use screen mode I can see the details,but in game mode it's shows nothing...
If I can pop in on this, I ran into this problem as well...

No matter what settings I chose in Bandicam or in MSI Afterburner (I went through all the settings in the Riva Tuner Server ("RTSS") that comes with it, one by one) I could not get them to work.
Just now, I tested again with Afterburner 4.3.0 Beta 4 because I saw your question and still, nothing worked , sadly :|

I do know that in any application/game and interaction with the GPU/monitor, there are "layers" where instructions are sent 'down' through the layers of the application interaction, where the instruction is disassembled and understood by different parts of the system and operating system - and then the response is sent back 'up' through the layers again, until the end program(s) use the instruction and get the response from different parts of the system.

This is why "post-processing" instructions (where they are applied AFTER the instruction has already been processed 'up' and 'down' through the layers for the most part - like antialiasing such as NVIDIA's FXAA and AMD/ATi's MLAA and also SMAA injection like SweetFX) cannot be easily recorded [although they can be under certain circumstances] - they are just outside of the layers that are being recorded by the recording program, at the time.

[This is just a general idea of how programming and hardware interaction works with recording, I am getting tired I hope it made sense haha]

It seems to be 'hit and miss' with capturing Afterburner's display/HUD, where some games it will actually work and some it won't (someone else talks about how some games with with ACTION! and some don't, here: http://forum.mirillis.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=30769 ). The only program I have found that will record Afterburner's display somewhat reliably is Playclaw version 5 and I only know this because I have been testing all of these programs for a future "shootout" (versus) article that I am working on...

I am sorry to mention these other competitor programs here, Bandi, but if you work on recording output like MSI Afterburner's display (HUD/UI) you will be more popular than all of them! :mrgreen:

Until something changes, with either Afterburner or with Bandicam, you may not be to be able to record the Afterburner display/hud/ui reliably in Fullscreen/GameMode it seems...

SnQQpy

Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:16 am

Hi everyone, I read this question and the reply by GameTipsAndMore. I must be missing something here. Why don't you simply record with Afterburner and capture the fps etc overlay there and that will remove Bandicam from the equation. I use AB all the time now for my recordings and don't know any game that it doesn't work with. Interestingly you don't mention the game you're trying to capture? Or are you saying you prefer Bandicam over AB. Certainly from my experience AB performs overall much better than Bandicam and while I did use Bandicam at one time AB is my preferred solution now.

If you need help with configuring the right codec, please say, I will be happy to oblige with any advice and help I can?
SnQQpy

DragonulRed

Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:06 am

Hi everyone, I read this question and the reply by GameTipsAndMore. I must be missing something here. Why don't you simply record with Afterburner and capture the fps etc overlay there and that will remove Bandicam from the equation. I use AB all the time now for my recordings and don't know any game that it doesn't work with. Interestingly you don't mention the game you're trying to capture? Or are you saying you prefer Bandicam over AB. Certainly from my experience AB performs overall much better than Bandicam and while I did use Bandicam at one time AB is my preferred solution now.

If you need help with configuring the right codec, please say, I will be happy to oblige with any advice and help I can?
SnQQpy
The game I wanted to capture was PES 2016 and Overwatch and if I want to record with MSI Afterburner when I start the recording I see a circle yellow spinning in left when I have the information about FPS,etc...

GameTipsAndMore Blog

Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:29 am

SnQQpy
Hiya Snoop, great advice of streamlining the process - I thought of this too - but I figured he wanted the extra codecs that Bandicam has that Afterburner doesn't, or the higher reliability of Bandicam. For instance, it seems that Afterburner has been getting 'buggy' of late... :(

It used to be my 'go to' app for recording too, but since GPU-accelerated recording came out, it seems to like to crash - a lot. Lots of forum posts about it from others too, unfortunately. I currently have an AMD GPU and it just crashes hitting Benchmark to test the settings, no matter what combination of Drivers/etc.

It still works great with MJPEG though, I used that for a long time, as it is one of the most compatible codecs and performance is really high with it - but I just can't ignore the space savings of using higher-compressed codecs these days.

Today, I use AMDVCE [since I have an AMD GPU right now, I will use NVENC when I have an NVIDIA GPU - I have no preference between the two] and if they ever get it working trouble-free like Bandicam, I might use it more again someday.

SnQQpy

Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:27 am

Hiya Snoop, great advice of streamlining the process - I thought of this too - but I figured he wanted the extra codecs that Bandicam has that Afterburner doesn't, or the higher reliability of Bandicam. For instance, it seems that Afterburner has been getting 'buggy' of late... :(

It used to be my 'go to' app for recording too, but since GPU-accelerated recording came out, it seems to like to crash - a lot. Lots of forum posts about it from others too, unfortunately. I currently have an AMD GPU and it just crashes hitting Benchmark to test the settings, no matter what combination of Drivers/etc.

It still works great with MJPEG though, I used that for a long time, as it is one of the most compatible codecs and performance is really high with it - but I just can't ignore the space savings of using higher-compressed codecs these days.

Today, I use AMDVCE [since I have an AMD GPU right now, I will use NVENC when I have an NVIDIA GPU - I have no preference between the two] and if they ever get it working trouble-free like Bandicam, I might use it more again someday.
Hi GTAM,
I'm not sure the codec is an issue. AB has the option of external codecs and certainly offers Quicksync and NVENC options and while I couldn't claim to have used ALL I have used a variety of codecs in the past with AB. I would guess the codecs wont be the issue, providing they're installed correctly.

My preferred choice is x264vfw and can capture at any fps with a selection of frame sizes depending on your RIG specs. I then pass these to Handbrake and compress to mp4 as a batch lot. Your limitation is then only disk space for the captures as you can batch compress overnight.

As for instability GTAM I'm not sure this is correct either. :shock: I have never had crashes specifically as a result of AB. I'm sure Unwinder http://forums.guru3d.com/member.php?u=30019 would be interested to know of your experiences and a bug report with AB. As you can see (sig) I'm on nVidia but as you probably know AB was originally developed with AMD in mind so this would be very surprising. My thoughts are the instability may be elsewhere.

Just my two penneth ;)

GameTipsAndMore Blog

Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:09 am

Hi GTAM,
I'm not sure the codec is an issue. AB has the option of external codecs and certainly offers Quicksync and NVENC options and while I couldn't claim to have used ALL I have used a variety of codecs in the past with AB. I would guess the codecs wont be the issue, providing they're installed correctly.

My preferred choice is x264vfw and can capture at any fps with a selection of frame sizes depending on your RIG specs. I then pass these to Handbrake and compress to mp4 as a batch lot. Your limitation is then only disk space for the captures as you can batch compress overnight.

As for instability GTAM I'm not sure this is correct either. :shock: I have never had crashes specifically as a result of AB. I'm sure Unwinder http://forums.guru3d.com/member.php?u=30019 would be interested to know of your experiences and a bug report with AB. As you can see (sig) I'm on nVidia but as you probably know AB was originally developed with AMD in mind so this would be very surprising. My thoughts are the instability may be elsewhere.

Just my two penneth ;)
Hey thanks for the input - you are totally correct. I used to love using Afterburner not long ago, in fact, I utilized [and wrote about] x264vfw/h.264/avc as well, because the codec could look really good and had good performance too (I even did the 'compress it later' as you do :geek: heh). All those ideas I brought over to Bandicam and used x264 as an "external codec", after AB started to give me troubles... (Example: this x264vfw 'Test' I did is from about three years ago, using the x264vfw concepts: https://forum.bandisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1958 (MPEG-4/x264/AVC as third party codec in AVI container))

Giving them some feedback might be a good idea yah, as Afterburner and its Buffered Recording was working great for me for a long time, but I went back to using mainly Bandicam when Afterburner started to act weird and crash when trying to record....around the time I got an AMD GPU (R9 280)? :? hmmm

Sorry to derail the thread a bit, Dragonul :lol: I will test Afterburner with Overwatch and see what happens for me - but again, I am having issues with Afterburner lately and always fall back to Bandicam - but obviously, that may just be my system/setup at the moment.

DragonulRed

Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:33 pm

Sorry to derail the thread a bit, Dragonul
It's ok :))

GameTipsAndMore Blog

Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:56 pm

Sorry to derail the thread a bit, Dragonul
It's ok :))
Thanks, what a great attitude :)

Well, I did some testing and found that I could do it in some games in Windows 10, but none in Windows 8.1...

A few examples:
Unigine Valley Benchmark = Afterburner OnScreen Display NOT recordable with Bandicam
Steet Fighter IV Benchmark = Afterburner OnScreen Display NOT recordable with Bandicam
Hearthstone = Afterburner OnScreen Display NOT recordable with Bandicam
Diablo 3 = Afterburner OnScreen Display NOT recordable with Bandicam
Left 4 Dead 2 = Afterburner OnScreen Display NOT recordable with Bandicam
Minecraft = Afterburner OnScreen Display NOT recordable with Bandicam
Guild Wars 2 = Afterburner OnScreen Display NOT recordable with Bandicam
TESV Skyrim = Afterburner OnScreen Display NOT recordable with Bandicam
Battlefield 4 (Windows 8.1) = Afterburner OnScreen Display NOT recordable with Bandicam
Battlefield 4 (Windows 10 only) = Afterburner OnScreen Display IS recordable with Bandicam
Just Cause 2 (Windows 10 only) = Afterburner OnScreen Display IS recordable with Bandicam

I'm sorry that I could not test Overwatch after all, as I don't own it :oops: I thought it was still in Beta (I haven't kept up on the news of that game for the past while), but I could not record the OnScreen display with other Blizzard games...

So, if you haven't 'taken the plunge' and jumped into Windows 10 yet, you could try that and see if it works for you then - it made it work for some games for me (I have it on a Dual-Boot system, so that I can do tests in both OS's).

Snoopy's idea is also valid, where you could simply use just AB for now and that way you could always record the onscreen display [but we love you Bandicam! keep working on Buffered Recording and displaying information like Afterburner so we don't have to use other programs! :mrgreen:].

Up to you, just a couple ideas... I hope the tests were helpful to you in some way. Good luck with it!

Edit:
I was thinking, perhaps Bandicam NOT recording those overlays, is a 'good' thing..? I wonder if Bandicam could record them, if people would want it to 'ignore' them and not have them included - I mean, there are a lot of overlays people are using these days, webcams, info/data overlays, etc. hmmm just thinking out loud - hey Bandisoft, maybe a Toggle or some way to turn 'capturing overlays' on and off..?

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:06 pm

I use MSI Afterburner for overlay to see FPS,GPU,CPU temperature,etc
We will try to improve the overlay feature in the future.

Return to “Bandicam - General Discussion”