nixiejames

RGB capture using external codec

Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:19 pm

i have yet to buy bandicam because someone said something about it that turned me off. he said that it doesn't send RGB when using the external codec option and that there is an intermediate conversion to 4:2:2. he tested it with colored test patterns or video games with clean uniform colors like colored text or something. the edges would no longer be sharp, he said.

has this issue been addressed yet? i mainly use utvideo RGB and i wonder if it incorporates properly with bandicam.

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Re: RGB capture using external codec

Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:51 pm

Hello nixiejames,

We are pleased to inform you that the "Prefer RGB colorspace" option is available on Bandicam 3.3.3.

Bandicam 3.3.3 (03/14/2017) - Prefer RGB colorspace
https://forum.bandicam.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6067

You can find the option using the free version of Bandicam, but please note that when you use the free version of Bandicam, the video is saved as YV12 to add the watermark even if you chose the external RGB codec and check the "Prefer RGB colorspace" option on Bandicam 3.3.3.

If you use the full version of Bandicam, you will not have this issue.

Thank you.

nixiejames

Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:58 am

i've tried it but there's a lot of dropped frames when using ut video. the fps counter will go from 100+ fps to 40+ fps every 10 to 15 seconds. when i check the output in mpc-hc, it will start with 60fps down to 45~ fps for a long duration before it goes back to 60.

nixiejames

Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:27 pm

i've managed to lessen the stuttering by installing bandicam on the OS partition, but now i've just confirmed another speculation.

checking prefer rgb colorspace doesn't help. there is still downsampling, therefore, not lossless. i tested it by comparing bandicam's own rgb24 and two external codecs, namely ut video rgb and lagarith rgb(yes, i changed the mode to rgb in the configuration). they should all be identical, but only the internal codec was truly lossless, with the two external ones downsampled and identical to one another at least. i've tested it with screenshots and just by straight looking at each recordings. it's mostly evident in texts and HUDs for me.

i'm not sure what the deal is with this prefer rgb 'new feature' but i'm a bit disappointed. i hope this is resolved

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:45 pm

Hello nixiejames,

Are you using the full version of Bandicam after the license registration?

Please note that when you use the free version of Bandicam, the video is saved as YV12 due to adding the watermark even if you chose the external RGB codec and check the "Prefer RGB colorspace" option on Bandicam 3.3.3.

If you have the same issue with the full version of Bandicam, please get back to us again.

Thank you.

nixiejames

Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:46 pm

i haven't bought it myself. i have a friend who bought it for himself because he wanted to record some stuff too. i asked permission to test it first on his laptop before i buy my own software.

here's a screenshot comparison between bandicam's rgb and external codec rgb. the background constantly changes in-game but the logo does not so one should look closely at the logo if there are changes between codecs. you can clearly see the difference in the letters C, T, and R. I want to test some more but my friend's away for a few days and apparently i can't test this with the free version because of what you said. maybe the dev team should test this themselves.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/204437

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:14 pm

Hello nixiejames,

Thank you for your report.
We've forwarded it to our development team and they will investigate further.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:25 pm

Hello,

We are pleased to inform you that the bug where Bandicam does not record entirely lossless when using external codecs is fixed on Bandicam 3.4.0.

Please refer to the following page for more information.

https://forum.bandicam.com/viewtopic.ph ... 586#p19279
- RGB24 codec resulted in quality loss in the registered version.
- External codec which supports RGB input such as MagicYUV, Lagarith, x264 resulted in quality loss.

Thank you.

Return to “Bandicam - General Discussion”