tsimitpo

Will full version fast-edit 4K YouTube videos

Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:34 am

I've come across a number of 4K YouTube videos that are about 8GB in size and nearly 1 hour long. I'd like to be able to save out a few segments that are anywhere from 15 seconds to 5 minutes in length and have had difficulty finding an editor that can do that without fully re-encoding the video.

I can't do it with the free version of Bandicut (video codecs are VP9 or VP9 LQ (.mkv or .webm) and audio codec is Opus) but wonder if the full version can do it? Is a temporary key available so I can test it?

Thanks!

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Re: Will full version fast-edit 4K YouTube videos

Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:42 am

Hello tsimitpo,

You will be able to cut the video with the full version of Bandicut.
- You can cut the VP9 video between "keyframes".
- However, you can't cut the VP9 video between "any frames".

Thank you for contacting us.

gdgsdg123

Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:39 am

...YouTube videos... to save out a few segments that are anywhere... without fully re-encoding the video.
This is technically impossible. (YouTube videos use Inter-Frame encoding)

A common approach to this purpose is re-encoding using a lossless encoding (e.g. x264 lossless).

tsimitpo

Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:39 am

...YouTube videos... to save out a few segments that are anywhere... without fully re-encoding the video.

A common approach to this purpose is re-encoding using a lossless encoding (e.g. x264 lossless).
As I was attempting to edit it with VideoRedo I noticed that there weren't really any i-frames (I use i-frames to scan through h.264 video quickly). I ended up re-encoding it into HEVC using 6000 kbps for 1440p and 10000 kbps for 2160p and got pretty impressive results. The downside is that so much time is required to re-encode any appreciable length of output.

I know ffmpeg has support for the VP9 codecs, but I wasn't aware that it couldn't cut it without re-encoding.

Thanks!

gdgsdg123

Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:57 am

As I was attempting to edit it with VideoRedo I noticed that there weren't really any i-frames (I use i-frames to scan through h.264 video quickly).
(YouTube video assumed) While in fact YouTube videos have quite frequent I-frames...

I ended up re-encoding it into HEVC using 6000 kbps for 1440p and 10000 kbps for 2160p and got pretty impressive results. The downside is that so much time is required to re-encode any appreciable length of output.
You don't have to re-encode the entire video.

And when there's sufficient bit rate, AVC usually yields better result than HEVC. (both quality, efficiency wise, given appropriate encoding settings)

I know ffmpeg has support for the VP9 codecs, but I wasn't aware that it couldn't cut it without re-encoding.
It can... if you don't care about cutting accuracy.

tsimitpo

Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:31 am

I mis-spoke regarding YouTube i-fromes. I really didn't know what to look for other than the navigation behavior when I selected i-frames as one of the navigation modes in VideoRedo. It didn't seem to make the difference in scanning speed or in the amount of frames skipped when toggling the nav mode between 0.5 seconds and i-frame like I see it make with h.264 video. I didn't know much about the VP9 codec at the time of observation.

I was only keeping about a minute of video out of a 45-minute piece, so I figured I'd have to re-encode the small part I was keeping. How can I avoid re-encoding all of the kept video if I want to use say - half of it? I would love it if I only had to re-encode near the cut points.

I was under the impression that HEVC was created for the purpose of being more efficient than AVC in that similar looking video can be stored with a lower bitrate. I've been doing some form or another of encoding for over 20 years, but I'm a novice when it comes to the most appropriate encoding settings. I usually just try for the best PQ I can get in a reasonable file size (so often use the slowest encoding speeds).

If ffmpeg can do a simple transcode (no re-encode) within several seconds of the desired cut points, I'll probably just give that a shot to get it into a codec that is native to VideoReDo (my editor of choice for many projects), which could then do the re-encode at frame-exact cut points.

Thanks for your insight.

gdgsdg123

Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:04 pm

If ffmpeg can do a simple transcode (no re-encode) within several seconds of the desired cut points...
What you are trying to avoid is unlikely the re-encoding itself, but the usually loss of quality associated with re-encoding.

tsimitpo

Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:15 am

RIght - my highest priority is to retain as much of the source quality as I can while avoiding increasing the filesize significantly.

Many years ago I used CCE and then the first version of TMPGEnc (GUI editor) and became accustomed to long re-encoding sessions, where creating an hour of edited video would take many hours of encoding. When Womble came out with frame-accurate fast-editing in 2003, I was blown away that I could "scrub" a ball game, save or cut out whatever segments I wanted, and create an hour of edited video in a mere couple of minutes - nearly as fast as a straight "copy" - without any loss of information and only some new encoding at the cut points. Next came VideoReDo - equipped to automatically mark out commercial segments if desired - which can also do h.264 (and now h.265) video.

With that experience of being able to edit with most of the new frames being a direct copy of the source frames, I came here not really knowing what I was dealing with in hoping to edit some 2K and 4K YouTube videos. Now I'm aware that those few videos that are no longer available in h.264 (resolutions over 1080p) will be simplest to deal with by converting them to AVC or HEVC video. I just need to figure out the most efficient and effective way to do that.

Thanks for helping me understand a bit better...

Return to “Bandicut - General Discussion”