DrWolfsherz

Extracting Audio takes AGES

Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:21 am

Hello dear Bandicam-Team,

I record using PCM 48KHz, stereo as Audiosetting. After recording tha raw video I need to extract the audio-streams (track 1 being the game sound and track 2 being my voice).

Now the thing is, that extracting the audio takes AGES, really it takes just damn long. About 6-8 minutes for a 20 minute long video!

Recording with the exact same settings (PCM, 48KHz, stereo, 16Bit) in another capture software (Dxtory) as comparison. The extraction of those videos only takes about 20-25 seconds!!

A long while back (almost a year) I already complained about the long time it takes to build the waveform when using Movie Studio to cut or edit a raw video recorded with Bandicam. This is the exact same thing.

I don't know why Dxtory takes so much less time to extract the audio (or build the waveform) than Bandicam but it surely is something that needs to be looked at. It is in fact one of the reasons (the other being the MagicYUV-Problem which got fixed recently, thank you!) why I have used Dxtory only in the last months.

I would really like to switch back to Bandicam, but this issue remains and makes my workflow unnecessarily long.

Please have a look at this. Thank you.

DrWolfsherz

Re: Extracting Audio takes AGES

Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:12 am

To supply more information I have recorded the same game for exactly 5 seconds with the same codec (MagicYUV) and autiosettings with either Bandicam and Dxtory.

I then inspected the encoding Details with MediaInfo. Here is the screenshot of the comparison:

https://i.imgur.com/tqJ6Ew7.png

Bandicam is left, Dxtory right.
The only noticeable difference is the writing application obviously. But also the Dxtory recording maintains the original source form (MagicYUV) somehow.

But most importantly you can see that the audio streams are identically! Why the heck does it take soooo much longer to extract audio from Bandicam recordings than from Dxtory? 6-8 minutes in comparison to just 20-25 seconds!

It must have something to do with how the Bandicam Encoder wraps up the final file. It seems to be severely lacking in performance optimization...

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:55 am

Hello DrWolfsherz,

If you want to extract audio from video to mp3, we recommend you use Bandicut.
https://www.bandicam.com/bandicut-video ... pport/mp3/

Could you give us more information about how to "extract audio from Bandicam recordings"?
Which function of Movie Studio do you use?

We look forward to your reply.

Thank you.

DrWolfsherz

Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:28 pm

Hello,

i do not wish to extract the audio as mp3. I extract the audio as wav. This is needed to be able to do post processing of my voice.

The problem is general, because either extracting audio via Virtualdub or working with the raw recording via Movie Studio takes long. I do not extract the audio with Movie Studio, that makes no sense.

I render the raw video with one of these workflows:

First workflow:
- Use VirtualDub to extract audio streams
- post process audio with Audacity
- then render the video using MeGUI.

Second workflow (i use this only in one of five videos, standard is first workflow):
- Use Movie Studio to be able to cut sequences.
- render with built in methos of Movie Studio

In both workflows what takes the most time (and again Dxtory recordings do not have this issue) is either extraction of the audio streams (VirtualDub) or building the waveform of both audio tracks (Movie Studio).

Again, I do not wish to extract audio to mp3. I need to do post processing.

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:17 pm

Hello DrWolfsherz,

Thank you for your explanation.

We were able to recreate your issue where it takes much more time to extract audio("Save WAV") with VirtualDub from the video recorded by Bandicam.

We have already forwarded it to the development team and hopefully they will fix it soon.

At this moment, we recommend you use "Save audio tracks while recording (.wav)" function on Bandicam.(No.2)

Again, thank you for your report.

DrWolfsherz

Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:46 am

Hello and thank you very much for getting back to me.

Good to know that you have acknowledged the issue. Makes me hope for a fix :)

On a sidenote, when using the option to "Save audio tracks while recording" the saved tracks have different filesizes and also different bit-depths. This should typically not occur with same length files. This might be a hint to why the audio extraction takes so long. The wav-Tracks saved with this method also take "longer than usual" to process but it is a lot faster than extracting them from the recording (where they have the same size for each track).

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:38 am

Hello DrWolfsherz,

We've forwarded your report about the "Save audio tracks while recording" function to our development team.
Thank you.

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:57 pm

Hello DrWolfsherz,

We are pleased to inform you that bug where it takes much more time to extract audio("Save WAV") with VirtualDub from the video recorded by Bandicam is now fixed.
- "Improved the writing efficiency of PCM audio data with the .avi container."

Please install Bandicam 3.4.0 from https://www.bandicam.com/downloads/ and check its performance.

Thank you.

DrWolfsherz

Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:06 am

I will report back after testing.
And thank you very much in advance.

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:35 am

Hello DrWolfsherz,

We look forward to your report.