FluffySnowflakes7

Screen tearing in recording, but not actually on screen.

Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:22 pm

Hello,

I know this is long, but I think it has all the details for someone to provide the answer.

First off, I'm using the full version of Bandicam, recording at 1080p 90q using H264 -NVENC (VBR) at 59.94fps, on a 4K, 60fps monitor (but I don't record OR play in 4K when recording. I play and record in 1080p when recording). The monitor does not have G-Sync. I have a GTX 1080TI and a 6600k OC'd to 4.5GHz. I play games on 1080p resolution, and record with the Screen Record mode in full screen in case a game ever crashes (I don't want the file to have a chance of getting corrupted, and sometimes I like to record stuff outside of the game).

I also record my Logitech Brio on auto settings (it won't detect unless I choose "auto", and even then I sometimes have to restart for Bandicam to pick it up). I record the webcam and the screen as two separate files. I import my screen recording to Premiere Pro first to get a 59.94fps timeline, then drag in my webcam which records at 30 (which Bandicam chooses to do in "auto"). I also use Bandicam to record my XLR microphone at 48000Hz, instead of the Brio's audio (Audacity would randomly stop recording sometimes, so I put the burden on Bandicam).

So, the games run flawlessly (even on 4K, but ESPECIALLY on 1080p) and when I'm in the game, there is absolutely no screen tearing while recording. I have specifically tested this while recording. If games have V-Sync, I enable it. And yet, the video file sometimes has moderate screen tearing in the bottom 20% of the video, regardless of V-Sync (which WILL remove tearing in real time, but not in the video file). If you're thinking "you must just not be seeing it", please don't think I'm blind.. if I can see it in the video, I can see it in the game, especially when I'm looking for it.

Which seems strange to me, since it's recording the screen, and there is absolutely no screen tearing on the screen when it's playing. I have recorded sample videos, with smooth movement such as camera rotation, of about 10 seconds to specifically test for this after it first happened. There is only screen tearing (again, ONLY in the video file) when the majority of the picture is changing. If a character runs across the screen with a static background, there won't be any tearing in the video. I'm also using "Use enhanced capture method", and have the priority set to "High".

I always have the latest video drivers and Windows 10 drivers. Also, the audio is AAC, 48KHz, stereo, 192kbps, with Two Sound Mixing disabled. Just in case.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Dfactor

Re: Screen tearing in recording, but not actually on screen.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:40 pm

Can you provide a screenshot of the video having tearing?

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:01 pm

Hello FluffySnowflakes7,

Please uncheck "Use enhanced capture method (faster, Windows 8 or above)" (No. 4) and try recording again.

Please let us know your result!

Thank you.

GameTipsAndMore Blog

Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:18 pm

If I may pop in, I am sorry to reply after BandicamCompany has officially answered - but I had this same issue occur in the past - where I did not have screen 'tearing' within the game, but saw some in the playback of the output/recording...

I eventually found that it was related to possibly two things:

- The player was accelerated (using the GPU) and the controls/overlays were not.
What I mean here is, are you experiencing the tearing down approximately where the player controls would appear? This is what was happening in my case. It was not fixable, but at least I knew what was causing the tearing (the control bar (stop/play/etc) location, in the media player).

- In another case, I had to enable Fullscreen 3D (accelerated/GPU) playback in the player and then the Vsync would also affect the playback of the recording, eliminating the tearing artifacts when watching the playback. This was fixable, but required adjustments with the Player output (I do not remember the name of the player at this time, possibly Media Player Classic?).

Just a couple of ideas... It may still have something to do with Bandicam or some GPU settings somewhere, but these are a couple of things I have run into in the past - perhaps it may help in some way :geek:

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:45 am

Hello OB_Jasper,

Could you please let us know your recording target and your PC specs?

Thank you.

MaximilianPs

Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:24 pm

I've got the same issue, but with with a Standard screen size (for example 1280x720) the tearing disappear.
I've got the tearing issue with a non-standard res. in my case was 1620 x 900.

Also, I've upgraded my Bandicam to the last (actually) version 4.4.3 1557

I'm not sure if it was 'cause the non-standard screen size or 'cause the oldest Bandicam version, but here the issue is gone.

Thanks for keeping Bandicam updated <3

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:03 am

Hello MaximilianPs,

Thank you for your update.
We are glad to hear that your issue has been solved.
Tearing issue has been fixed on Bandicam 4.3.1.

Thank you.

antoine.serplet

Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:16 pm

Hi Bandicam,

I've been having the same issue on and off for over a year now but it has been a lot more consistent now than ever.

Graphic drivers and Windows are up to date,
Bandicam is updated to the latest version 4.4.3

My settings on Bandicam are as below:
MP4
- Size: Full Size
- FPS: 60 > Prefer CFR
- Codec: H264 > VBR, GPU, (Auto select), Keyframe interval: 150, FourCC code: H264
- Profile: Auto
- Quality: 100

Recording settings: [High], Use enchanced capture method. < I need this selected as without it the recording is not as smooth.

I've attached a screenshot of the first frame of the recording. The screen tearing occus at every load and scroll during the video.

Please help!

Thanks.
Attachments
BandicamScreenTearing.png
BandicamScreenTearing.png (342.41 KiB) Viewed 13235 times

Bandicam Company
Site Admin

Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:59 pm

Hello antoine.serplet,

We know you say you need to turn on the "Use enhanced capture method (faster, Windows 8 or above)"option, however, we need to check if the tearing issue still exists even when you disable the function.

Please let us know your result.

If you don't have the tearing issue when that function is disabled, please disable it and we will find the solution for the lagging/choppy issue separately.

Thank you.

gdgsdg123

Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:20 am

Can confirm it's happening (on occasions) on Bandicam 4.4.3.1557, when recording in "Game Recording Mode" on a recording target of high refresh rate (precisely, higher than the recording FPS).
tearing.jpg
tearing.jpg (376.5 KiB) Viewed 11173 times
Tearing artifacts (similar to what caused by improper V-Sync implementation) can exhibit in the recording, if the encoder was overloaded and had difficulty keeping up with the target recording rate (which eventually caused the input frame buffer being filled up, thereby the consequent "frame overlapping").

Using "Screen Recording Mode" may mitigate the problem somewhat (by taking advantage of the incumbent synchronizations of Windows itself's window management), though I haven't tested. (and essentially, the problem is on Bandicam itself...)

Update:
In my case, using "Screen Recording Mode" seemed to completely eliminate the problem.
Last edited by gdgsdg123 on Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Bandicam - General Discussion”