xellon

Game freezes when I hit record

Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:07 am

Just got my laptop back and factory installed windows 7 64 bit. Specs in signature.

I used to use h264 without any issues (external codacs provided on bandicam site) but the game froze when I tried using it.

So I set settings to default but it still froze the game. Whats wrong?

edit - Oh, I was using open GL btw.

edit - Right now, I have the factory installed amd drivers. I would like to keep these if possible. Before I shipped my laptop to rma, I used a standard windows 7 64 bit install disk and not factory install. In fact, factory amd drivers would not install when using the standard disk so I downloaded lastest amd drivers from amd.

Could this be why its freezing? do I need latest drivers?

Zuzu_Typ

Re: Game freezes when I hit record

Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:02 am

You should have updated drivers (of cause), but I don't think this is causing the issue. Did you try reinstalling? Why do you use an external codec? H.264 AMD APP should be available too, if you don't use one. You should try updating your Direct X to 11 (if this isn't already done), update your video card drivers, update bandicam (if you don't have the latest version) and if this doesn't help try reinstalling. Maybe Windows Update is useful. If H.264 AMD APP freezes your games
you should use Intel Wuick Video Instead.

I think I foud it out:
"* Caution 2: AMD Catalyst 13.10 beta or a higher version supports the H.264 encoder."
this is from the bandicam FAQ ( http://www.bandicam.com/support/tips/amd-app/ )
I think the drivers cause the issues.

Best regards!
-Zuzu_Typ-

Dfactor

Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:47 am

I think I foud it out:
"* Caution 2: AMD Catalyst 13.10 beta or a higher version supports the H.264 encoder."
This is the direct cause because it's stated in the Support page. But that's if you're using AMD APP. Unrelated if you're using software encoder such as x264vfw.

Having outdated drivers has only disadvantages. The only possible reason I can find is broken compatibility with some games in newer catalysts. Other than that older versions will have way worse performance and stability (especially with newer games).

xellon

Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:44 am

Did you try reinstalling?
Yes
Why do you use an external codec? H.264 AMD APP should be available too, if you don't use one. You should try updating your Direct X to 11 (if this isn't already done), update your video card drivers, update bandicam (if you don't have the latest version) and if this doesn't help try reinstalling. Maybe Windows Update is useful. If H.264 AMD APP freezes your games
you should use Intel Wuick Video Instead.
I have windows 7 fully updated and have direct x 11 (checked dxdiag). Under video settings, I only see xvid, mpeg1, M jpg, YV12, and RGB24 as selectable codacs. I have latest version of banicam. I want to install latest amd vid drivers as a last resort.
I think I foud it out:

Best regards!
-Zuzu_Typ-
Dang it.... I tried Xvid, still froze on me. I guess updating vid drivers may be the solution. But why did it freeze on xvid?
I think I foud it out:
This is the direct cause because it's stated in the Support page. But that's if you're using AMD APP. Unrelated if you're using software encoder such as x264vfw.

Having outdated drivers has only disadvantages. The only possible reason I can find is broken compatibility with some games in newer catalysts. Other than that older versions will have way worse performance and stability (especially with newer games).
The factory vid drivers are much more stable for a specific game I'm playing based in China. However, I did reinstall windows so its also possible that something else was causing...... I guess stuttering is the right word. If its unrelated to x264vfw, then why is it freezing? Not only on that, but xvid as well.

edit - As it stands, updating video drivers seems to be the only thing I haven't done so I'll create a system restore point and try latest drivers from amd.

gonna try this version which seems to be the latest.

Update - Ok, installed the latest video drivers and now I have no issues recording. However, the stuttering on the one game I mentioned before came back. It's a known issue among other amd users and unfortunately amd doesn't seem too interested to fix it. O well..... I rather have bandicam working for now.

Thanks.

Return to “Bandicam - General Discussion”