xellon

SSD Makes a difference

Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:54 pm

I just thought I'd throw this out there. When I first used Bandicam it was on my SSD and I was able to record my games fairly well with decent bit rate in HD.

After My laptop was repaired from RMA and had to rma my SSD as well (so using a normal HDD atm), I tried using bandicam and the performance just isn't as good. I have to lower the bit rate or quality so my game gets higher fps during recording.

It seems the best results would be to have your game played on an SSD and put your bandicam output folder on a 2nd hardrive to avoid read/write limits. If you think about it, running the game, with windows running in the background and recording on 1 hardrive just isn't going to cut it.

This may or may not be new or useful but like I said, just throwing it out there.

Dfactor

Re: SSD Makes a difference

Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:52 am

SSD does make a difference. For the OS/software, that is.
You see, you can easily capture raw RGB24 or YV12 and your HDD would have no problems chugging it down. The average read/write speed in the middle of a defragmented platter is around 80-120MB/s which is 960Mbps. A 60 frame 1920x1080 raw RGB is 750Mbps and my hard drive has no problems capturing that.
The encoding process affects mostly your CPU/GPU. So, why are you having slightly worse performance? Well, because your OS and all the background services don't have the rapid response time and high read/write speed anymore.
Therefore, you could say that SSD helps in a way.

SuperGod

Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:04 pm

Common sense, use your SSD for your OS and games installation, record to a dedicated hard drive.
A dedicated hard drive lets your main drive concentrate on writing.

xellon

Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:21 am

What about a partition? Lets say onn my 1 SSD, I have a 100gb partition and a 20gb partition (or close to that anyway). MY OS, programs, are on the 100gb partition and my 20gb one is empty.

But.... that wouldn't matter would it? Just because I'm playing on 1 partition and recording on another, its still on the same drive so would that make a difference?

SuperGod

Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:22 pm

It is a better scenario since SSD does not have any mechanical and moveable parts, however not so healty to it's lifespan, but that is debatable. ;-)

xellon

Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:16 pm

It is a better scenario since SSD does not have any mechanical and moveable parts, however not so healty to it's lifespan, but that is debatable. ;-)
Meh, I decided to give it a shot. I didn't do anything extensive yet but I did notice higher fps recording on the 2nd partition, even better then recording on my empty HDD. Couple things I want to try out later.

SuperGod

Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:00 am

My reccomendation is SSD for your OS and games installation and RAID0 as a dedicated hard drive.
Fast + cheap space.
With my RAID0 Im able to record even 1080p at 60FPS RGB with no problems when I need it, thats around 350MB/s

Return to “Bandicam - General Discussion”